Hollow form "for critique"

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Foweraker

Established Member
Reaction score
This piece is turned from Ash 250mm x 170mm Sanded to 600 grit coloured with Chestnut spirit stains.Lime waxed then buffed of the lathe and finished with Chestnut gloss laquar.

DSC01317_edited-1.jpg

Not too sure on the overall effect George, I love Ash in its natural form and have seen some attractive (to my eyes) paler colour blends used in the past but this piece looks a little too dark overall for me.

You seem to have achieved a golden/brassy sheen and it may well look lighter in the flesh offsetting the dark grain fill.

Not so sure about this one George. When you post your images, could you post a link to a larger size. One pieces like this it's nice to get in close and see the effect.

does the photobucket page give you options for different sizes? If so use the link for the bigger size (or full size) like this:

Code:
[url=http://larger.image.url][img]http://smaller.image.url[/img][/url]

So instead of larger.image.url would be the link to the full size image and where smaller.image.url would be the smaller one to display on the forum.

It's tricky to get your head around. But once you've done it a few times it's easy.

The other option would be to post bigger image sizes directly to the forum, something like 600 wide. But some people get grumpy about that for some odd reason.

Let me know if I can help

George Foweraker":2fvehk5d said:
My head hurts .
I will try.
:lol:

If you are using Photobucket you can put thumbnails in the forum that link to a full sized image. Let me know if that is what you use

Pete

If you put the cursor over the image in Photobucket you will see a little box appear underneath it alongside the name of the image. Tick the box then at the bottom of the page click on 'Generate HTML and Image Code'

In the page that comes up click on the box of code that is headed
'IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards - recommended

This will automatically copy the coding. Paste that into your message and a thumbnail will be placed in it (you will just see the code until you post) That thumbnail then links to the full sized image in Photobucket like this

Hope that helps

pete

George if you want to put a slightly bigger piccy on.
When you are in PB there is a more options tag,under the upload images videos.Click on that and it will give you more sizes to choose from.Check the box you want.I use 640x480,and it stays that size for all your piccys.
If you want to put thumbnails up as Pete suggests without seeing your folder ypou need to change the code slightly.Take a look
Here under code fix.That's if it still works.It's been some time since i have done this.

Yep that's it George. I, personally, prefer the bigger pics. Seeing it bigger make it much more pleasing to the eye. But I think, like Chas, I'd have preferred to see the natural grain on this one. The form is impeccable. You have a good eye for design.

I quite like the colouring on this piece,but i think it would look better if the grain was hilited more with a darker colour,black,if that's possible :?:
Lovely shape again though George,but is the top open.Looks to be closed from the piccy to me :?

You know George the more I come back to this piece the more I'm certain that it's not the particular treatment etc. that doesn't quite gel with me but more the style in general.
There is a lot of effort and time gone into this piece to achieve the wall thickness and finish, however at the end of the day it does not come up to the impact statement I am used to seeing from your work, this may just be personal to me and be meeting a valid market so to speak so my comments may be irrelevant to the theme.

Latest posts

Back