Goblet for critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Wood Doctor

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Comments and critiques are welcome!

I turned this Monday last and then had to find my camera, and then recharge the batteries! Its never as simple as you think its going to be.

Anyway, its 6 inches tall (150 mm) it would have been 9 but the first cup went a little thin and broke when polishing so I had to trim that off and start again. The cup is 2 1/2 inches (60 mm) wide and the stem is about an eighth of an inch (3 mm) at its narrowest.

The wood is YGIAGAM (Reg Sherwin speak for your guess is as good as mine) I had it in a stack of wood and its label has long since been lost!

Goblet01.jpg
[/img]

Goblet02.jpg
[/img]

I look forward to your comments.

Ben

Very nicely done Ben, appears pretty wild with that bright red/orange finish, I guess the wood gives it that colour mostly?

Thanks Paul, you might be right now that I think about it. Its an even wall thickness to touch an I might have been able to go another 16th less. :| Of course the lip design might be making that look thicker and heavier than it actually is. Food for thought and something to consider for the next one.

Hawk, the red does come mostly from the wood, possibly a little from the flash and although the finish will have taken it down a tone or so I don't think it actually changed the colours. The finish was Milands friction polish by the way.

The older surface wood of the original blank was a darker, deeper red with a few bits of cream sapwood on one corner.

Thanks for the comments.

Ben

I think it's the fact that the foot is a bit small that makes it look top heavy. Unless it's the picture I would say it is well under 2/3rds of the diameter of the bowl. Apart from that it looks be a good 'un. The shape of the bowl is unusual with that lip but that isn't a problem, just different

pete

I'm afraid my impressions are similar to the previous comments, the base diameter and stem thickness are at odds with the bowl size/thickness, I think the photograph perspective from above may well be exaggerating this unbalance.
No negatives on the execution or finish it just seems a little unbalanced to me.

Thanks Chas,

I appreciate the thoughts and comments. Now that you and Paul have focused my attention to it I am beginning to think that the cup of the goblet does look almost perched on the stem rather than it being a single balanced piece.

All such comments are helpful and welcome to ensure that I improve and make my work the best I can.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben, have a look at any wine glasses you have, pick the one you prefer to use and see if you can match it. The design may well not be to everyone elses preference but it should give you a feel for balanced proportions.

The only problem with that Chas is that my preferred glasses are full of red wine :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for the tip. I was trying to turn this one from a memory of a goblet I liked and you are probably right that I would have been better off trying for a form that I could touch and feel to help me out this time.

Thanks

Ben.

Ben, as has been said already the foot seems much too small for the piece. A picture of the profile of something like this is also helps with giving a feel for the piece.
The finish looks spot on and the wood is a fantastic colour 8) Just a thought,could you not turn a darkwood or ebonised base for your original foot to fit in? This would give you the oppertunity to bring balance back to the goblet. 8)

JT

johnny.t.":1dmrtqud said:
....... Just a thought,could you not turn a darkwood or ebonised base for your original foot to fit in? This would give you the oppertunity to bring balance back to the goblet. ....

This is an example of one I rescued like that when the base failed on me.

DSC01427.JPG

If you intend to do more goblets do a Google image search for goblets and chalices. I make quite few and have a couple of pages of different shapes and designs downloaded. As a basic aid to proportion the foot should be about 2/3rds the diameter of the bowl. Really thin stems are fun to make but the foot needs to be proportionally thin as well if you do go that way.
Shapes can vary tremendously and that's down to personal taste

Some different examples of shapes and sizes

Pete

Hi Ben,

I like it, looks like you got a super finish,

Did anyone ID the wood yet ?

Back