Nanohone price

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one other side comment about the bonded stones. For more than 100 years, very small abrasive bonded stones were available. In a couple of cases, makers of those stones tried to sell larger versions for woodworking or toolmaking, but they fell flat on their face (swaty type razor hones, etc - aluminum oxide).

I think probably the greatest advantage for the modern bonded stones is that the prices are high enough for them to be worth selling through a woodworking retailer (woodworking retailers generally don't fare well against larger retailers, even things like kitchen supply).

In my opinion, something like an IM313 outfitted is far superior to anything modern. Add a reasonably well made piece of cast with 1 micron diamonds on it for anything that doesn't love a natural finisher and it's no contest then. ( "but what about flattening tools?" with new tools, that should be done on glass and abrasive paper - that's a grinding operation and not a finishing operation).

I've dabbled in all of these, including the razor stones - the only bonded razor stone that's really dazzled me (not due to fineness, but tactile feel is otherworldly) is the frictionite. There are finer stones, but the feel of that one for a freehander is like getting a massage each time you sharpen.

Apologies for the TLDR - sharpening media and sharpening things has long been a side fascination, and (this one's for Mike G), I've never seen someone who has gone as far into it as I have, and I have a laziness obsession, too - what's the fastest way to get least-effort results. What proves out? The answer is probably different for non-beginners.

Back