A bent stick problem.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
Someone has just asked me to finish both ends of a bent stick. And I thought he was a friend!

It could be done by hand but would be a lot of faffing, it needs to be pretty much to size apparently. I should have asked what it was for.

But anyway, I'm sat looking at this bent stick wondering what on earth I'm going to do with it. It's approximately 55mm diameter and 200mm long, with something like a 10 degree bend right in the middle. The bend is tight so there's plenty to grip at each end, of course the wrong way round.

Is there such thing as a 200mm woodturning chuck with 4 independent 100mm long jaws?

Otherwise I think my options are to carve a block to suit each end, add some pipe clamps and put it on a face plate. The more I think about it the more I dislike this person!

Has anyone invented a Heath Robinson kind of jig/chuck for anything like this? I'm hoping for some advice other than "Don't being silly!"

Thanks.

Normal practice would be to hold the odd shaped article in a jig or vice on the bed of the machine or bench.
The cutter to round and size the ends would be in the spinning Chuck, be it lathe, hand held or a hand turned rounding tool.

I seem to recall a jig for a similar use featuring in a book by Mike Darlow, woodturning methods iirc. Can't remember exactly how it went but it involved parallel sides clamping a bandsawn carrier for the bent piece, then the whole lot held in a 4 jaw chuck with 2 jaws removed opposite each other.
Oh, think there was a dowel through the parallel sides where the workpiece bent to hold it in place.
Tris
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... H6ReK2lz5M might be useful

Thanks folks.

I do have an adjustable off centre plate, but the log isn't going to fit that, I don't think.

I'll have a look for that book, I was thinking of a clamp in the chuck but hadn't spent any time looking into that yet. If I get it worked out I'll post a couple of pics.

I've seen something similar but don't remember where.
Basically the end to be worked on is held in a steady close to the elbow & the cranked end is driven by a wooden face plate with a hole near the outer edge for the wood to go through.
I can't remember how the wood was secured or whether a counter weight was used.
Edit: Something similar to this
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4igPl_GrL-s

Back