Gallery additions, the quest for me time.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dalboy":3fwzh4jb said:
... starting yet another piece which this time I know is dry wood
saying that, 'Dry Wood' can certainly wake you up to adjusting you approach at times.

The Oak in those vases was very dry and rock hard in places, no problem to turn once you have decent bevel contact but a real challenge to tool aproach and lathe mechanics in its square blank form.

My approach in such cases is to reduce the impact loads on tools and hands by roughly removing the corners before spinning it up, can be done with a hand plane at the bench but more often than not I cut corners and speed it up by using an electric planer which is kept on hand to balance up the odd out of balance blank.
oak1.jpg
Not a pretty picture but much easier to control the tools and reduce the risk of shock loads.
oak2.jpg

oak3.jpg

Attachments

• oak1.jpg
    oak1.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 521
  • oak2.jpg
    oak2.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 521
  • oak3.jpg
    oak3.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 521
Depending on the size of the piece will depend on me knocking the corners off. As I was saying the other day the piece I had planned for a project turned out still to be wet so found another which is dry and as it is a vase shape the inside was not too easy to get a smooth finish, but got there in the end.

Usually just pick up a Spindle roughing gouge or stiff Bowl gouge with most of the stuff on my racks, this oak came as a bit of a reminder that all woods are not the same.

A bit of knotty Yew from the shed today:
DSCN6295.JPG
DSCN6296.JPG
DSCN6297.JPG

A couple of Sumac items that made the gallery previously.
DSCN6293.JPG

DSCN6294.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6295.JPG
    DSCN6295.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 452
  • DSCN6296.JPG
    DSCN6296.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 452
  • DSCN6297.JPG
    DSCN6297.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 452
  • DSCN6293.JPG
    DSCN6293.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 452
  • DSCN6294.JPG
    DSCN6294.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 452
sammy.se":1qdufpgr said:
Is that Sumac, as in the spice called Sumac?

No, it's Rhus typhina, (stag's horn sumach) although it is from the same Genus,
Rhus.
Spice is from the fruits of Rhus coriaria.

There are some poisonous members of the family.

Sumac not the best of woods for robustness, the faster growing trunks are rather soft and easily marked in use so I guess they would fare best as dry subject display containers rather than users. Still have quite a lot of bits to work through. Will be glad when I can get round to a bit more constructed work rather than just spinning plain blanks.

Splits knots and all.
DSCN6298.JPG
DSCN6299.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6298.JPG
    DSCN6298.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 402
  • DSCN6299.JPG
    DSCN6299.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 402
Have some Branch wood that is split in the most inconvenient places Derek, can't bring myself to just cut up for yet more pen blanks, light pulls etc. so am trying to salvage something that can at least take a small dried flower display.
Not too happy that the splits are dictating the form, but the alternate is the firewood bin :(
Have an idea for something small tomorrow if the rain arrives as promised, think I will try and incorporate the waspy waist shape.

Had to sodding rain didn't it? My new bowl gouge arrived, I've got a boot full of rescued wood that I'm hoping isn't *too* split (ends weren't protected) - and my lathe is outside :(

Finally managed to put thoughts to practical output this afternoon.

Yew (dry) bud vases and Cherry base.
DSCN6300.JPG
DSCN6301.JPG
DSCN6302.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6300.JPG
    DSCN6300.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 336
  • DSCN6301.JPG
    DSCN6301.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 336
  • DSCN6302.JPG
    DSCN6302.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 337
Not quite as elegant as envisioned Derek, but once again wood was in control for the vases, not something that I should let determine outcome I know but can't bring myself to dump it in the firewood bin.*

*Been doing that for two hours this morning which is very frustrating, chasing splits and throwing output into the bin and sweeping up mounds of unproductive shavings is not my idea of fun.

The stool leg I made had to have a small design change due to a split so know what you mean. I have been lucky as on Sunday I was out and someone offered me a 12ft long trunk of yew. The 20 minutes later someone offered me a complete walnut tree with a trunk diameter of about 2ft both of these have been down for at least 3 years so most of the water should be gone all I need to do now is go and have a look

Salvaged a bit more wood that had split too much in the drying to be considered for bowl turning.
DSCN6305.JPG
DSCN6306.JPG
DSCN6307.JPG

DSCN6310.JPG
DSCN6311.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN6305.JPG
    DSCN6305.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 511
  • DSCN6306.JPG
    DSCN6306.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 512
  • DSCN6307.JPG
    DSCN6307.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 511
  • DSCN6310.JPG
    DSCN6310.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 511
  • DSCN6311.JPG
    DSCN6311.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 511
Dalboy":21p3yttt said:
….. not too sure about the shape of the first one .....
I Know what you mean Derek, afraid it's the wood splits influencing the form a bit, although to be honest did not have definitive dimensions as aiming points in the first place, looked reasonable when between centres.

Fortunately destination has individuals who have totally different perceptions to me so they usually disappear faster than I can turn them out.

Back