Veritas Hand Beading Tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hands up, I've never used that Veritas beading tool. But I can't believe there aren't better ways of spending seventy odd quid.

Making your own scratch stock is a doddle, and personally I believe there are better, shop made scratch stock designs than the Veritas style tool, here are just some of the scratch stocks I use, the ones on the left deliver by far the cleanest and most reliable results on long grain work.
Scratchstocks-01.jpg

Scratchstocks-05.jpg

Scratchstocks-08.jpg

As an aside, the photos for the Veritas beading tool that you linked to on the Axi website are a bit of a puzzle. Look at the photo of the bead on the back of the windsor chair; it's pretty crepe, full of torn grain and as rough as a bear's bottom. I don't know whether Veritas/Axi are to be congratulated for honestly showing the limitations of their scratch stock on cross grain work, or to be ridiculed for cack handed marketing?

One suggestion, for the same money you could get the Veritas version of the 80 Scraper Plane.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-cab ... per-474843

That's a tool I use regularly and IMO that shows Veritas at their very best, an evolution of an established design, but delivering real, functional benefits along the way.

Just my 2p's worth. Good luck!

Attachments

• Scratchstocks-01.jpg
    Scratchstocks-01.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 934
  • Scratchstocks-05.jpg
    Scratchstocks-05.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 935
  • Scratchstocks-08.jpg
    Scratchstocks-08.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 936
Thanks Custard

Scraper added to my wishlist :)

I'm trying to get ahead of the game as I just took some more tat down the tip today.

Cheers
Andy

why is one handle so much longer than the other? it would take careful thought not to put more pressure on the long handle than the rounded one.

this question asked from a position of never having seen that tool before.

FG

I have a full review of the Lee Valley Cast Scratch Stock here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReview ... tock2.html

LVCastScratchStock_html_m2b35325b.jpg

It is a copy of Preston's Patent Reeding, Rabbeting and Moulding (Tool No.1393S).

The short answer is that it is a good tool with some reservations.

There are many ways to do beading. As with Custard, I like making and using simple scratch stocks in wood.

The other tool that takes some beating is the Stanley/Record/LN #66 ...

LVCastScratchStock_html_4d6672ce.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

custard":10466yhi said:
One suggestion, for the same money you could get the Veritas version of the 80 Scraper Plane.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/veritas-cab ... per-474843

That's a tool I use regularly and IMO that shows Veritas at their very best, an evolution of an established design, but delivering real, functional benefits along the way.

Just my 2p's worth. Good luck!

Hi Custard I've been using a stanley 80 for years and recently purchased a blue record version.

What additional features do you say the veritas version has over the stanley and record.

TIA

The sole's a fraction longer, which makes it a bit easier to start and end the cut, and the handles are differently positioned, it's also that bit better machined.

Having clocked up plenty of hours using an 80 I think the Veritas has the edge. But it's evolution not revolution, and if you're getting good results from the 80 then probably not sufficient reason to change.

+1 for the Veritas/LV #80

Although there's a lot to be said for making your own scratch-stock and cutters from scratch (sorry), speaking as one whose metal-bashing skills are less advanced than my woodworking skills, I think that the Veritas cutters are well worth their relatively low cost (as Derek's review suggests). https://www.axminster.co.uk/blades-for- ... ading-tool

So, maybe the Veritas 80 and a set of Veritas cutters to make 'rolling your your own' a little easier to start with?

Cheers, W2S

Back