Thomas Darby Moving Fillister

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harryd

Established Member
Reaction score
darby_02.jpg
darby_01.jpg
I’m having a clear-out, and one of the interesting things that has to go is this C18 plane. It‘s a Birmingham plane, with unusual lignum wear pads. It’s complete, some worm holes but all inactive, and needs a little TLC – one of the lignum pieces needs re-gluing, the depth stop is loose – but it’s not bad for its age. I haven’t touched it or tried to use it – feels too special for that,
My question is what to do with it? It’s a collector’s piece, possibly a museum piece, and I’d like it go to the best possible home where it will be appreciated.
What does the Forum’s collective wisdom recommend?
I will sell it only through the ‘For Sale’ board, not from this posting.

Attachments

• darby_01.jpg
    darby_01.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 697
  • darby_02.jpg
    darby_02.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 697
Thank you for posting this. I have a big interest in planes with intermittent boxing. I would love to add this to my collection. The long term aim for the collection is to leave it to a suitable institution so it can be used as a working reference library.

Well Harry, all I can say is that a better home could not be found than being in the Arnold collection. Richard has undoubtedly pushed forward the history and research of the earliest planes of these Isles.
May I suggest if Richard wasn't the next owner please in some way let him get to at least see and study it in person.
Cheers Andy

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to Harry for giving me the chance to add this wonderful moving fillister to the archive, and also to the two Andy's for fighting my corner!.
The plane was probably made by George Darby of Birmingham, who worked between 1750- 1784.
Judging by the length of the plane (9 7/8"), and the overall style, I would say this was from his later period. The use of intermittent boxing on 18th century Birmingham planes is quite often seen, and I have one or two other planes made by Thomas Darby with this feature. I have heard it said that it may be something to do with the fact that the early engineers in the Birmingham area were using lignum for bearings in machinery, and it may be that the plane makers were making use of the offcuts.
1HvwH0B.jpg

oumPDk0.jpg

95xnGJX.jpg

7It0L2J.jpg

That worked out well then!
It's in the right place - alongside its long lost brothers and cousins, well looked after, appreciated. And shared with others as much as practical, through open days, displays, Instagram, web and Facebook. =D> =D>

Back