finding a single phase startrite 352 bandsaw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lincoln-Mason

Reaction score
I'm looking for help finding a single phase startrite 352 bandsaw, I'm based in the north east, does anyone have one for sale or know anyone?
I'd appreciate any help...I've looked on ebay preloved gumtree etc no luck so far seen one but the price was way over the odds.

Whats so good bout that saw?
Its not even a floor standing machine.
For the footprint that saw will have you could get a much more capable machine.
Look for three phase machines with dual voltage motors, if you want a bargain...
and get a 100 quid VFD for it, job done. :D

They are a great machine and used to be a good bargain. The 352 was made in Kent by startrite. A simple and effective tool. Unfortunately people bangin on about how good they are (in comparison with Chinese rubbish) has now inflated the price beyond there worth. I also think Chinese bandsaws are somewhat improved over years gone by.
The startrite 301s is a smaller but equally built used bandsaw. May be a bit cheaper. Then larger used saws startrites then other European makers but these aren't hobby friendly.
Jet and axi and record have 352 equivalent models that will be available used eventually.

The 352 I own is a great floor standing machine which has coped with use and abuse for over 30 years,I would definitely recommend the saw,not too sure if the301 is floor standing though.Nothing on the market at the price to match it in my opinion.

My 301s is floorstanding and very similar to the 352. All you say about the 352 is true but it's by no means the best bandsaw I've used. It's a bit underpowered. And the adjustments are a bit crude. But it is effective and durable. the price is used v new as the 352 hasn't been available for many years. The startrites would be expensive if they were still mAde though. The jet saws are good and more sophisticated.

Most on here swear by the Record Power range above the BS300, but the new Sabre range from Record Power are a leap up the scale with all the modifications made that should be on a good bandsaw, couple of post on here about them, one with video etc.

Mike

Sound like good advice. Might have a look myself!.all I'm saying is don't get caught up in startritemania. A bit like myfordmania in model eng circles.

johnnyb":3pcg1m3u said:
Sound like good advice. Might have a look myself!.all I'm saying is don't get caught up in startritemania. A bit like myfordmania in model eng circles.

Good grief yes, having dabbled a little in model engineering in the past, you'd be forgiven for being led to believe by some that Myford products were so incredible that all you had to do was press a button and a half-size Sentinel Steam Waggon would miraculously appear in your shed.

But back to the topic - I've just bought my first bandsaw and I had a VERY close look at the Startrite 352 (in person too) after seeing it mentioned here numerous times. I'm a big advocate for buying Old and preferably British, but while I was impressed with the build quality and reliability quoted, I felt that for a first-timer, the lack of some features that certain modern more user-friendly models have, and the lack of warranty if the dreaded smoke escapes, led me to decide on a new one, this time round. Particularly as when buying second-hand and laying down a few hundred for something (and not knowing much about them) it would be easy to end up with a dud unknowingly.

I went with the Sabre 350 and have posted my experiences so far, as MikeJhn has mentioned. But if I'd really needed a bit more capacity I'd have been equally happy with the BS400, and if my budget had been tight I'd have been happy with the BS350 instead - they're all about as good as you can expect to get new, for that money.

Ttrees":1wxh6o39 said:
Its not even a floor standing machine.

Don't know where you got that from, mine is very definitely floorstanding and needs to be, it's bloody heavy

Lincoln-Mason":1x1wc8zi said:
Bought a mint Startrite 352 for £350 .

Sounds like a good buy, you would make money if you sold it on.

I don't have the "Startrite mania" mentioned earlier and I'm sure there are better machines out there but I wouldn't part with mine. Does everything I ask of it.

I’ve got a single phase 352 as well, a late 70’s model. I wouldn’t swap it for a modern far eastern made machine for all the tea in China! Came complete with all the bits, cost me £500 delivered and never misses a beat. Adjusting the guides can seem a bit of a fiddle until you get the knack but straight forward after that. Definitely a floor standing machine and definitely weighs a ton! I’m not sure how powerful the motor is but it doesn’t seem underpowered with a sharp blade fitted. To find a similarly robust and effective machine in the modern market I think you are looking at quite a bit more money - a Hammer N440 perhaps?

memzey":y0lrlxec said:
I’ve got a single phase 352 as well, a late 70’s model. I wouldn’t swap it for a modern far eastern made machine for all the tea in China! Came complete with all the bits, cost me £500 delivered and never misses a beat. Adjusting the guides can seem a bit of a fiddle until you get the knack but straight forward after that. Definitely a floor standing machine and definitely weighs a ton! I’m not sure how powerful the motor is but it doesn’t seem underpowered with a sharp blade fitted. To find a similarly robust and effective machine in the modern market I think you are looking at quite a bit more money - a Hammer N440 perhaps?
Mine is about the same age Memzey and solid as a brick built sh*thouse, I can push heavy lengths of timber through and it just sits there without moving an inch, in fact I can't move it without tipping on to the 2 castors and even then it's bloody heavy.
Power is ok for my need as well though I can see why others might need more capacity and power. Yes as you said guides are fiddly and I did think of converting as Steve did but they work well so didn't bother. The weak link for me is the rear tct guides as replacements are expensive and it does seem to be common for the tips to be missing but I used JB Weld to stick replacements on and it works very well indeed.

I really don't know where the comment "Startrite mania" came from, The fact is they make decent machines just like other well respected manufacturers and it's also a fact that the early bandsaws were far and away best on the market at the time which is why they were so popular in education and industry. We sold hundreds in the late seventies / early eighties and many are still working perfectly today. I wonder how many chiwanese made machines will be doing so in 45 years time!

Bob

My thoughts exactly Bob. I’ve lost the tct tip on my rear guide as well. Where did you get a replacement from if you don’t mind me asking?

Back