WOCA worktop oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prawn_Cracker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of using this or perhaps just observations from the technical info?

http://www.wocadenmark.com/shop/product/worktop-oil

I need to replace a section of solid beech worktop and the local supplier here stocks and recommends this WOCA oil as a preferred finish.

As well as replacing I'll also want to refresh the existing worktops. These are Ikea tops and I'm not sure what they were finished with. The WOCA product suggests it's compatible over other finishes so this is a plus point. Although, to be honest, I'll be giving the existing worktops a full sanding from P80 upward so I'm not sure how beneficial this really is?

Any advice greatly received!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately solid-wood Ikea worktops may be finished (if you can call it that) with liquid paraffin AKA mineral oil, which makes them troublesome to properly refinish afterwards. If they were finished with Ikea's own finishing oil, Behandla, that's a drying oil so you wouldn't have to worry about it.

If you're planning on significant sanding anyway it's likely you'll get below the level of penetration of an oil, but anywhere the grain dives the penetration can be much deeper than elsewhere, possibly almost as deep as it would sink into end grain. Meaning it would be worthwhile degreasing the surface thoroughly with white spirit after you've sanded just to be on the safe side.

As far as the WOCA oil goes, I'm leery of most commercial concoctions because they tend to play their cards close to their chest so you're left not really know what they're made of. And in this case they don't say much! But it could easily be a mixture that amounts to something like Danish oil, the white one tinted with white pigment obviously.

Me personally I prefer to have a better idea what's going on the wood. So if I wanted to finish with a product akin to Danish oil I'd make my own, but for a working surface like this I'd prefer to wipe on dilute varnish as it will give a tougher, more water-resistant surface that will yellow slightly less over time (because of the lower oil content).

Thanks for the advice. Yeah it's nigh on impossible to know what was used at all on the existing tops!

I'm wary of handling this badly and ending up with dire results. Previously I've used Liberon/Osmo, which has always worked well. I think my curiosity to use WOCA might be exceeded by falling back to what I know works for me and plenty of others.

The white spirit suggestion is a good tip and will apply that post sanding. You're right in that I'm intending to fully sand back but this is added insurance.

The white pigment sounds different but not needed on this occasion.

With regards to finishing end grains, underside and long grain scribed to wall, would I be wide off the mark with two coats of finishing oil? Worktop is to be resting on carcass with no appliances/sinks below, just pans and dry goods.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back