Rutlands router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeJhn":20yn249c said:
1800watt NVR as opposed to a 2000watt machine, difference equates to 0.909 amps at 220volts, or 0.833amps at 240volts, would the NVR take the extra load? manufactures head room may be the answer.

Mike

Safety factors on electrical load are non standard. I've worked in industry with everything from 1.1 to 2, depending on the application. Thats in the UK where we tend to take those things seriously.

What matters here is whether you want to take the risk. You may just burn out the switch, or blow a fuse. You may (very unlikely) burn your house down. The ratings on this type of equipment are mostly meant to protect the manufacturer from you claiming against the last one of those eventualities.

either way... not much point buying a whole table just to get a switch with a significant chance of failing and no recourse to a replacement.

It may well be a risk, but if the switch burnt out, which I doubt it would, this would only mean replacing the switch, it is far more likely that the MCB or RCD would trip far sooner than any significant risk occurring, hmm worked in industry and still uses fuse's, it is totally up to the individual if they consider the minimal risk (IMO) worth taking.

Most switch manufacturers will under state their products limitations, as you say to minimise the litigation factor, however most motor manufactures will over estimate, or certainly use a test procedure that over states the power output of their product.

Mike

MikeJhn":nrqccoa5 said:
At last someone who actually has one, seems its not as bad as most on here guessed.
Mike
Yeah, it's fine; I just checked the site and the original price is 99 quid they say, I think I'd be a bit miffed with it at that price but I'm perfectly happy with it at the 40 quid mark.

The mitre slot is the usual not-the-same-as-anything-else-you-have specification (about 20mm wide, 5mm deep, with slightly curved bottom corners) but over my brief time in woodworking so far, I've come to expect that !

Sounds like the switch may be a problem, if there's anything I can do to help (aside from burning my place down :) - I guess I mean sending photos of it) give me a shout.

Back