Planer/thicknesser belt problem, please help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Went into my workshop this afternoon and thought I would get some timber ready for the spring and bring in a few pieces to put under the bed. :wink:

Decided to clean one of the pieces up on my SIP 01344 P/T but the drive rollers would not work, blade roller goes round OK. Rollers will go round manually if gears turned.

I suspect the belt (not motor belt) has got upset over the winter weather at being neglected. Bringing old belt indoors, will it recover in the warmth?

2010_0221ptbelt0001w.jpg

It really sags when tensioned.

2010_0221ptbelt0003w.jpg

Part number in sip catalogue is 256 flat belt.
Besides sip can anyone tell me where I can order one direct in the post from a belt supplier.

the present outside circumference of the stretched belt is 26" (66cms) or 24 3/4" (63cms) 18mm wide 3mm thick.

But new belt should be less?

BTW putting a piece of ash, maple and Black Walnut to bed.

2010_0221ptbelt0004.jpg

The belt on my lathe stretched so I wrote the numbers on the belt down and got an equivalent in my local 'belt & bearings' place. It was a much higher quality belt than the original and about one-third of the price.

Brendan

I assume there is no adjustment for tension??

As brendan has said try and find some numbers on the belt and post a picture. Is it a flat belt on the driving surface or one with several V ridges on it.

Only if you get really desperate should you buy from the manufacturers (SIP) they will charge many times the price of a bearings and belt suppliers.

I should be able to get you one once we know what it is.

Cheers

Bob

the present outside circumference of the stretched belt is 26" (66cms) or 24 3/4" (63cms) 18mm wide 3mm thick.

But new belt should be less?

No number can be seen on belt and it is a flat belt.

Can you measure the total length round the pulleyswith a taught steel tape please?
What is the max belt width that will fit inside the smaller pulley cheeks?
Bob

9fingers":ux5hwtjq said:
Can you measure the total length round the pulleyswith a taught steel tape please?
What is the max belt width that will fit inside the smaller pulley cheeks?
Bob

OK Bob, I will go back into shop tomorrow.

Panic over. :) :wink:

I brought the belt indoors last night and put near a radiator overnight and this morning I remounted it on the P/T and everything is working OK again.

It obviously didnt like the cold weather and not being worked over the past three months.

So next winter I shall remove belts from machinery and store indoors in the nightstand, front bedroom :)

Thanks above for your offers of help, I have a suspicion that someone else a few weeks ago experienced the same problem?

Back