Pens - no kits required!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A short while ago we had relations come for a visit and the talk got around to my workshop and hobbies (surprise!).

Could I make them a pen? Well not something I usually do and have no pen making kit so a bit of quick lateral thinking was called for.

I found a nicely figured piece of yew (well oversize for a pen) and with a long bit managed to get a hole right through it. Of course it was nowhere near central both ends but be very oversized there was plenty of wood to play with.

Roughed-up a piece of steel rod to jam and glue tightly in one end to mount in chuck on headstock and used the hole on other end to mount on the tailstock live centre.

It worked, and by the time I'd turned it down to pen size the through hole was, of course, central through the wood.

Dismantled a plastic advertising pen we'd acquired from somewhere for the other bits.

Wasn't difficult and I, and they, were pleased with the result but if I intended to make more pens I think I'd invest in the proper kit :)

I think Capt Eddie did something similar for his 'Freedom Pens'
The club website is quite a good one.

I wondered about doing something similar a while back, but was put off when I discovered that the metal refill part of a modern BIC biro is not as removable as the old ones I remembered, so didn't know where I could source innards from! I didn't realise you could free the refill of a modern BIC with a pair of pliers!

You can break out the refill part of a Bic with care - I get about 90% success after a bit of practise.

The Staples own-brand pens in boxes of 10 are cheap and the refill just pulls out.

A lot of the freebies in hotels or the ones given out by the Red Cross have pull- out refills but they usually only have a tiny bit of ink in them

Back