Mini-Lathe Conversion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
HI Folks
I don't do a huge amount of turning and my lathe has been taking up a large amount of shop space. I don't really want to get rid of my lathe as I DO use it, just not every day. Or week..... :roll:
I have been looking at buying a mini-lathe to replace mine but most have a different thread on the spindle which would mean selling my chuck. And once I sell my lathe I probably wouldn't have enough left over to buy a new one..... :roll:
So-a plan. I cut down the bed bars of my lathe (ably used by Chas at this years Big Bash!)
Dscn4664s.jpg

A new stand (with wheels!) was made from kitchen worktop offcuts.....

and after much hacksawing (did I say a LOT of sawing!!!!)
l2.jpg

After polishing off any rust (happy Chas? :wink: )...
l3.jpg

A useful (and no extra cost!) mini-lathe!
l4.jpg

So I gained some extra floor space, spent no money, and I get to have a lathe I feel quite comfortable with. A good couple of hours spent, I think!
Hope this comes in useful,
Philly :D

Thats a draper wtl100 or a wtl100A you have made a lathe similar to Records CL5 which was a nice small 18" centre lathe with a half horse power motor. I would have bought new bars so if you want in the future you could have if back to full size. Good job but keep that stand nice and sturdy there's a lot of give in chip board work top I have had one nearly shake apart on me. (not my construction but I was doing a burr that wasn't balanced at the time)

Philly
a trip to your local plumbing merchant might have saved your original bars... they do (so I'm lead to believe) 1.25" /1.5" zinc coated tube that would have done the job :shock:

Now if you fit a decent tool rack underneath to protect the cutting edges rather than chucking them in (or out) of the box and a couple of draws for the bits and pieces it could turn into a decent workstation. :lol:

You are going to edge the chipboard with a bit of wood trim of course :wink:

Blister":2rmm2k3m said:
Quick question

How do you get on with the Trend air mask ??

was thinking of something like this ,

Thanks

Could not work wood without it, I'm very allergic to fine dust.

Light weight in use becomes second nature to put it on.

Expensive for what is not the most robust of constructions but I've yet to find something to replace it for use with facial hair.

Needs both batteries to be of practical use, face skirt needs replacing at least once a year, it wears out quicker than you get through the filters in the service kit.

Have had to replace the face shield itself once due to cracking and a couple of minor plastic failures indicate more spares may be needed.

This is in regular use since May 2005.

A run over the exterior with a vac. after each use extends the filter life and a wipe down with a damp cloth removes day to day dust making for pleasanter use.

A strip down and wash in soapy water (NOT the motor) is beneficial when doing a filter or skirt change.

Chaps
The bed bars are solid steel-that is a LOT of sawing!!! I still have one original bar undamaged so if I need to turn long items I just need to find another bar.
Chas-I have some 32mm poly pipe that I intend to turn into tool holders in the near future. The base may not be pretty but it is sturdy-glue and 4 inch screws should do for the moment. Time will tell.
Cheers

Hmm... what's the betting you have a sudden and unexpected urgent need for a 3ft long turned column now? :wink: You're a braver man than me, Gunga Din - I just bought a smaller lathe. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Philly,
I was about ask if those bars were solid..........phew, that must have really taken some effort. :)

I had recently to cut some solid bars only a wee bit thicker, first attacked them with a hacksaw :x then went at them with my small angle grinder :x :x :x then I gave up :lol:

Finally gave the job to our builder (Who had an industrial size angle grinder) even with that it took a while.

Al
Yeah, expecting a three foot idea any moment..... :lol:
"You're a braver man than me, Gunga Din - I just bought a smaller lathe. "
You know me-I hate buying tools :whistle: :wink:

Harvey
A fresh hacksaw blade and plenty of lube makes it easier. My arms and shoulders are aching today, though :lol:
Cheers

Philly":311mkqca said:
Yeah, expecting a three foot idea any moment..... :lol:

Save it for a trip to the Cotswolds, I know someone who has the capacity.

(from a wet and winy Leicestershire )

Russell":1tj7yvbt said:
Thats a draper wtl100 or a wtl100A you have made a lathe similar to Records CL5 which was a nice small 18" centre lathe with a half horse power motor. [snip]
I think I'd say the Record "could have been" a nice small lathe! I bought one second hand very cheaply, and while it's really solid and runs smoothly, Record cut too many corners in making it. Spanner adjustment for all the movements rather than Kipp handles, only three speeds and they only ground the upper side of the (flat) bed, so that the rest and tailstock tended to catch as they were moved.
After scraping the underside to a consistent bed thickness and fitting proper handles, it's now fine. OK, this took time and money, but Record did rather "spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar".
Now, if I can just get a suitable 3 phase motor and inverter to give it fully variable speed, I won't want to get rid of it.

dickm":1e8vxcqd said:
I think I'd say the Record "could have been" a nice small lathe! I bought one second hand very cheaply, and while it's really solid and runs smoothly, Record cut too many corners in making it. Spanner adjustment for all the movements rather than Kipp handles, only three speeds and they only ground the upper side of the (flat) bed, so that the rest and tailstock tended to catch as they were moved.
After scraping the underside to a consistent bed thickness and fitting proper handles, it's now fine. OK, this took time and money, but Record did rather "spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar".
Now, if I can just get a suitable 3 phase motor and inverter to give it fully variable speed, I won't want to get rid of it.

Your refering to the RPML300 a good lathe with a cast bed the CL5 was a twin bed bar lathe with about 18" between centres.

Latest posts

Back