Michelin CrossClimate + tyres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
OK...we all know that winter tyres are, well, excellent in snow and ice compared to summer tyres. But just how often we have snow and ice is a moot point.

But, having gone sideways down our hill last week, started researching. Come to the conclusion that some reviews and rankings online are, well, questionable as to veracity and independence. Often the comments are more revealing hence this thread.

A fair few recommend Michelin CrossClimate + as being an excellent summer and winter tyre. The online review I viewed with video was pretty impressive on snow. So....

....anyone got these ?

How can it be excellent in summer and winter? Any kind of all season tyre is going to be a compromise.

Rorschach":3ozpdkg9 said:
How can it be excellent in summer and winter? Any kind of all season tyre is going to be a compromise.

I agree but the reviews suggest that it's not as bad a compromise as you might think in this case. One has to consider the trade-off between cost, convenience etc. If one has a bottomless pit of money and spare storage then a set of winter tyres and rims is obviously the best solution. On the other hand ...

There are only two obvious answers to your problem, Roger: a funicular railway, or a horse and cart. You simply leave your vehicle at the bottom of the hill, and travel to or from it via one of those two methods.

Hey Roger

My MB GLC has all season tyres, they fit them now as standard as the GLC in common with some other 4wd SUVs have an issue with crabbing/skipping on full lock at slow speed which the tyre seems to solve.

Don't know about Michelins all weather though I had standard Pilot sport on my last Audi quatro. Mine are Vredestein non run flats on 20" wheels and over 15 months and 8000 miles I've found them to be excellent in all respects including ice and snow. Wear is acceptable as well as they still have around 5 - 6mm tread and I don't drive like a granny. I can't compare these tyres to summer ones though as haven't had them on this car.
I would expect a premium brand to have similar characteristics but you never know until you try and they're not a cheap item.

RogerS":z68niovu said:
Rorschach":z68niovu said:

I agree but the reviews suggest that it's not as bad a compromise as you might think in this case. One has to consider the trade-off between cost, convenience etc. If one has a bottomless pit of money and spare storage then a set of winter tyres and rims is obviously the best solution. On the other hand ...

Depends on your situation really. If you experience a long harsh winter, that set of extra rims and winter tyres will soon pay for themselves and will last several years if you change them out when the weather improves.
If you experience intermittent bad winters, a fancy set of all seasons like the Michelin may work out good but they will still be more costly than 2 sets in the long run as they will wear out quicker in the summer months and use more fuel, not to mention higher initial purchase cost. They also still might not give you the grip needed in the worst weather.

Personally I only use basic standard/all season tyres, we get a couple of really bad weather days each winter. When we do get bad weather, it is usually bad enough that I can't move the out of the drive, so winter tyres are not much use there. When I can move it out onto the road the road may be gritted but there is still slush and the road is full of idiots who can't drive and are a danger to themselves.
My strategy is simple in those cases, I leave the car where it is. If we need to go anywhere we walk if close enough or get a taxi and let the taxi driver assume the risk. If the roads are so bad that taxis aren't running then it's bad enough to just stay indoors and workplaces are closed anyway.

Gawd...if you well-heeled blokes are going to talk dirty about cars, and minute specification details about cars, I'm off! :D

Roger? Why not simply fit snow chains? I used them regularly over 20 years in wild country (northern Scotland, well off the beaten track) even with a landy that had all the selection levers and diffs to match. Proper job. They can be whipped off pretty quickly, once you reach civilisation.

Sam the snowman.

SammyQ":3q3h5jqq said:
Gawd...if you well-heeled blokes are going to talk dirty about cars, and minute specification details about cars, I'm off! :D .

My car is rarely dirty Sam, they drive better when they're clean. :wink: Not OTT - honest. #-o

Winter tyres are far better in the wet as well. We use them all year round. Better in snow, ice and the wet and just a slight compromise with noise and ware in the dry. Admittedly we do very few long journeys and it's mainly short trip on the soggy Devon lanes.

I live and work in rural Northumberland and have all seasons fitted to my xtrail. Definitely worth it!

I have nokian weatherproof fitted, they are a winter biased all season tyre, excellent in the wet and even on compacted snow.
The rear tyres aren't really showing any wear after a year's driving, the front will be replaced for next winter.

The Michelin crossclimate are a summer biased all season tyre, they were going to be my second choice but the nokians were slightly cheaper at the time.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

manglitter":10xdefb8 said:
I live and work in rural Northumberland and have all seasons fitted to my xtrail. Definitely worth it!

I have nokian weatherproof fitted, they are a winter biased all season tyre, excellent in the wet and even on compacted snow.
The rear tyres aren't really showing any wear after a year's driving, the front will be replaced for next winter.

The Michelin crossclimate are a summer biased all season tyre, they were going to be my second choice but the nokians were slightly cheaper at the time.

Many thanks for this. Good to hear from someone using them. Whereabouts in this beautiful county do you live ?

Beau":336dg8l0 said:
Winter tyres are far better in the wet as well. We use them all year round. Better in snow, ice and the wet and just a slight compromise with noise and ware in the dry. Admittedly we do very few long journeys and it's mainly short trip on the soggy Devon lanes.

Many thanks. Which tyres do you use and type of car ?

My local tyre supplier runs with winter tyres all year round. He reckons the extra wear is nominal.

Rod

RogerS":3g13tb8w said:
manglitter":3g13tb8w said:

Many thanks for this. Good to hear from someone using them. Whereabouts in this beautiful county do you live ?
Just south of Alnwick, we get the best of the best and worst of the worst weather wise [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

manglitter":7aiu4a08 said:
RogerS":7aiu4a08 said:
manglitter":7aiu4a08 said:

Just south of Alnwick, we get the best of the best and worst of the worst weather wise [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Rats..could have popped in for coffee as I was in Morpeth this morning. There's Sammie Q across over there as well and Lons.

manglitter":165edb5r said:
Just south of Alnwick, we get the best of the best and worst of the worst weather wise [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Not too far from me, I'm 6 miles north of Morpeth.

I had some cross climate plus fitted on all corners of my front wheel drive car on Friday morning, approximately 8 hours before the snow came, they performed flawlessly, a massively impressive set of tyres in winter conditions. Going down a steep hill just on the brakes completely under control, with no abs assistance. Pulled away from a few junctions as if it wasn't snowing, no traction control. Then up another steep hill that was void of any traffic other than 4x4s.

Loads of rain today and they feel brilliant in the wet aswell. Obviously haven't tested them in the dry as yet.

I'm a convert. They will be my tyre of choice from now on. Not cheap but definitely worth it, was the difference between getting home and being stranded somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Back