May Bowl Critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pvt_Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
Rippled Sycamore
Chestnut sanding sealer, burnished in own shavings and 3 coarts of wax.

Held the shavings tight on the thin edges while it was spinning at med-high speed to get the burn marks..

Attachments

• DSCF0753 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF0753 (Custom).JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 613
  • DSCF0756 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF0756 (Custom).JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 613
  • DSCF0757 (Custom).JPG
    DSCF0757 (Custom).JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 613
Pvt_Ryan":1f649s70 said:
Rippled Sycamore
Chestnut sanding sealer, burnished in own shavings and 3 coarts of wax.

Held the shavings tight on the thin edges while it was spinning at med-high speed to get the burn marks..

Personally, I'd have made the base a lot narrower to give the bowl a lighter look and feel.

I'm not convinced by the burn marks. When I saw them in your first post I assumed they were an accident. The outside one doesn't look to bad but the inside one doesn't have a consistent width and darkness. I find getting radial burns like that is tricky. In the past I've used blank circuit board (basically fibreglass but others have used lino) pushed into a small groove at high speed but this can also be tricky to control. I'd have been tempted to decorate the top surface with a v-cut groove.

There are a few obvious tool marks on the inside and outside. These can come from pressing the gouge too hard into the wood - it ends up bouncing and once it's started it can get worse. It could also be from not using the bevel. Once you have these they can be difficult to remove without going back and taking another cut with the gouge. If you've already reached the finaly shape that you want then you can try using a scraper - several very light passes just taking off the high spots will probably work better than trying to smooth the whole surface at once. Also investigate shear scraping. Scraping rippled wood like this though can sometimes be difficult.
If you can't remove the marks with tools then resort to sanding at maybe 80 but be careful as rippled timber can have areas of differing hardness and you may end up sanding undulations which follow the grain.

I like the way that you've decorated the base with grooves. If you decorated the rim with a similar groove then it would tie the 2 elements together nicely.
Do you have a method of removing the chucking point rim? If so the the base might look better if it was flat.

I lke the simple bowl design which shows of the rippling nicely.

I hope this critique is ok. If I've been a little too critical then let me know and I can tone things down in the future

Duncan

Thanks, no point in toning it down it's good to get detailed feedback.

I was dissappointed with the edge burning (imho) it looks good but as you saw it could be better if it was more consistant, It was actually initally an accident then I though "ooohhh I like that" so tried to darken them and make it more obvious.

Button jaws are on my to buy list as my home made ones are a bit rubbish.

There is actaully a small cockup that you can't see in the pics, I drilled the hole for the screw chuck in the wrong side so there is now a very small hole in the base..

I always seem to have issues with tool marks in the centre of the bowl (and some tearing), might need to practice sharpening my gouges I think the spindle and bowl gouge profiles are wrong.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back