Krenov Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyP64

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Only my second post, i was just wanting to get some pictures of your craftsmen made Krenov Planes, as i'm gonna make some of my own and i wanna see what other people seem to like shape and modification wise!

Sam

p.s. if anyone has any Krenov Books they dont want anymore and would like to sell off pretty cheap i could do with getting some more :D

SammyP64":1g4u1ty2 said:
Hey guys,
Only my second post, i was just wanting to get some pictures of your craftsmen made Krenov Planes, as i'm gonna make some of my own and i wanna see what other people seem to like shape and modification wise!

Sam

p.s. if anyone has any Krenov Books they dont want anymore and would like to sell off pretty cheap i could do with getting some more :D

Hi Sammy,
Welcome to the forum.

Have a word with Philly if you have interest in wooden bodied planes. He will put you right.

A little advice is, next time you are at a boot fair or antiques fair and you see an old British wooden bodied plane, buy it. Even if the woodwork is useless, the irons and breakers are usually good thick steel. Even laminated if you're lucky.
And making a Krenov plane isn't easy, (you'll need a good blade to start with) but once mastered you will have a great plane.

Best of luck.

Regards
John :)

Hi Sam

The book you want is Making and Mastering Wooden Planes by David Finck, I think I read somewhere that its coming back into print soon.

Here is one of mine; I'm not sure its really Krenov style as such, as I have made it more complicated than he ever would have done with the lever cap and such.

4105245083_15beacc5ae.jpg

I think the Ron Hock blades intended for these style of planes are an excellent starting point, albeit not that cheap.

Happy Planemaking, Ed

Welcome, Sam! When it comes to Krenov style planes the big advantage is you can shape the body to feel comfortable to your grip. Here is a link to the College of the Redwoods (Krenov's old school) page where they show how to make a Krenov plane.

http://www.crfinefurniture.com/1pages/s ... plane.html

I would say make a plane and have a go at shaping it - its a personal thing. You might surprise yourself.

Best regards
Philly :D

Here's an signed original:

2h2d3.jpg

and Philly has one too. As you can see, the shaping is very rough and ready (straight off the bandsaw) but with this type of plane you can shape it to your own personal choice - Rob

woodbloke":2osrkqau said:

2h2d3.jpg

and Philly has one too. As you can see, the shaping is very rough and ready (straight off the bandsaw) but with this type of plane you can shape it to your own personal choice - Rob

When are you going to get some sandpaper to that and clean it up? :lol:

Aidan

TheTiddles":khl9z1mb said:
woodbloke":khl9z1mb said:

2h2d3.jpg

When are you going to get some sandpaper to that and clean it up? :lol:

Aidan
...and ruin the provenance? :lol: Unlikely - Rob

oh but the temptation to put in on the disc sander...

Mr Ed":2m1y8z8y said:
Hi Sam

The book you want is Making and Mastering Wooden Planes by David Finck, I think I read somewhere that its coming back into print soon.

Here is one of mine; I'm not sure its really Krenov style as such, as I have made it more complicated than he ever would have done with the lever cap and such.

4105245083_15beacc5ae.jpg

I think the Ron Hock blades intended for these style of planes are an excellent starting point, albeit not that cheap.

Happy Planemaking, Ed

I said it when i first saw it Ed. That really is gorgeous.

Philly and Woodbloke, you are very, VERY, lucky men to have the genuine article...

I was just looking at making a polishing, smoothing and jointer plane for use after an electric jointer to get everything true and perfect,
And i was looking at using the Ron Hock blades,

I really don't mind the look of them off the bandsaw, because Krenov says in his books that there the cabinetmakers violin, its something to make music with, its not something to be gawked at for its life,

I do have an old english smoother that has been modified for my comfort, and the change in how easy and how comfortable it is to use was instantly noticeable, and i've not really altered much, just a little file work, i also have the blade from an old block plane which i was going to use for the polisher,

I just can't help but feel a craftsman is closer to tools he makes himself or saves up for, and i wonder how much better my work would be with the added comfort and my own personalized tools

Sam

Some of I made.

Aussie beefwood and maple, with a shortened Berg single iron. As a note, it has a bit too short heel. It can be pushed, but it is more comfortable to pull.

Stripedkrenov02.jpg

Stripedkrenov01.jpg

Stripedkrenov03.jpg

Makore sides, movingue fills, wenge wedge. Self-made HSS-Co single blade. This is something between a small smoother and a block plane. Can be used with one hand. Movigue has not been as wear resistant I expected, so I can't fully recommend it for the task. It's better than wenge sole, though.

sportykrenov01.jpg

sportykrenov03.jpg

sportykrenov04.jpg

European beech. A shortened Berg with chipbreaker. Chipbreaker and high angle bedding makes it a reasonably good smoother for certain hardwoods. It's usually used so that chipbreaker edge is very close to blade edge (0.2...0.3mm gap). Then it starts to behave like a scraper plane.

Disneykrenov01.jpg

Disneykrenov02.jpg

Disneykrenov03.jpg

These are between three to five years old now. I use them once in a while.

Samu

Ikisumu":2xx3zqk7 said:
Some of I made.

Aussie beefwood and maple, with a shortened Berg single iron. As a note, it has a bit too short heel. It can be pushed, but it is more comfortable to pull.

Stripedkrenov02.jpg

Stripedkrenov01.jpg

Stripedkrenov03.jpg

Makore sides, movingue fills, wenge wedge. Self-made HSS-Co single blade. This is something between a small smoother and a block plane. Can be used with one hand. Movigue has not been as wear resistant I expected, so I can't fully recommend it for the task. It's better than wenge sole, though.

sportykrenov01.jpg

sportykrenov03.jpg

sportykrenov04.jpg

European beech. A shortened Berg with chipbreaker. Chipbreaker and high angle bedding makes it a reasonably good smoother for certain hardwoods. It's usually used so that chipbreaker edge is very close to blade edge (0.2...0.3mm gap). Then it starts to behave like a scraper plane.

Disneykrenov01.jpg

Disneykrenov02.jpg

Disneykrenov03.jpg

These are between three to five years old now. I use them once in a while.

Samu

Thats lovely!

Just for a curiosity, the plane pics I linked from Photobucket do not seem to show up in my post, but when member Chems quoted my post, they seem to appear fine (at least to me).

Would it be so I need to develop a bit more posting credit, perhaps? :)

Samu

Edit: And now they do appear in my post, too!

Would it be so I have indeed entered an area traditionally known of abundant ghost activity. :D

Latest posts

Back