Holdfast rescue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
I have 3 holdfasts from my fathers workshop. 2x Record and 1x ??.

They are all missing their collars to fit into a bench and act as a support to lock against.

Is it possible to still buy these, I've looked on Ebay without any result.
Can these be easy to manufacture...what do they look like.

regards
Alan

Hi,

I have to Woden ones with out collars, I have thought about getting some, but I don't want to make holes in my bench.

Pete

First - Thank You very much for your replies they were most helpful.

My own trawl of Google seemed to produce not very much....I must get better at searching.

I have asked Axminster about the diameter of the hole in their piece. If its OK then I will buy from them.

regards
Alan

Hi,

The Record 145 has a 0.8"approx diameter shaft, the Marples 146 is 0.9" approx.

Could you post what you find from Axminster. I want a couple of extra collars and another clamp to match my Marples 146.

Cheers

Andy

The following reply was received from Axminster this am.

Charlie Cross [email protected] to me
show details 09:45 (2 hours ago)
Dear Mr Beech,

Thank you for your email regarding our 200232 bench clamp. Regretfully the diameter of the shaft on our clamp is 25mm or pretty much 1" diameter therefore may not suit the diameters you require.

Please let me know should you have any further queries.

Kind regards

Charlie Cross
Technical Sales

Axminster Tool Centre
Phone: 0330 100 0299
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.axminster.co.uk
Unit 10 Weycroft Avenue • Axminster • Devon • EX13 5PH • Fax: 01297 35242

I have 2 146's and 1 Woden.

The collars for the 146 fit the Woden and work fine.

I have 7 collars in total in my benches and they measure from 23mm to just under 25mm and all work, I would be tempted to buy an Axminster one and try it as it could well work.

Tom

I also asked this question because I felt guilty expecting others to do so and I got the same answer ie 1". Given that the Marples 146 is 0.9" I guess the only way to find out is to buy a collar and try it.

I've also email Miles Tool & Machinery Centre who sell this http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.aspx?ProductID=23125 to see if they have dimensions.

Cheers

Andy

Miles Tool & Machinery Centre have just replied.

"Thank you for your email,

This is approx 10mm,

Best regards

MTMC Sales"

This seems very small, may be they missunderstood my question which was
"Can you tell me the diameter od the shaft of your "Planet Bench Holdfast Clamp". I'm trying to find if it is comatable with the old marples M146"

Maybe I'll ring them later.

Cheers

Andy

Just a few comments.

I think Axminster's reply was fast, accurate and amazing. Great service.

I think that Miles Tools and the other one higher up the thread are ripping us off at £8.36 ish inc VAT. It just feels lacking in value and expensive as so many things are now over priced for the value delivered. Axminster got it about right.

I thought that a holdfast did not need a tight fit. In fact all of the other ones I've used had a sloppy fit to the collar that was taken up in use. The collar providing a means to protect the bench from heavy forces and a means to support the holdfast.

I've ordered one from Axminster but will be away for 3 weeks so won't be able to use it.
regards
Alan

Had another response from Miles Tools after posing my question slightly better and he's saying that the shaft is approx 20mm which makes it nearer the M145 type.

Cheers

Andy

Latest posts

Back