Henry Milnes Milling Machine Restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think its more or less finished! It only took half a year.

Bradford Milling Machine by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Henry Milne Mill by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Just need to work out the last few bits of lubrication. Such as where those oil feeders on the back go and what to lube the roller bearing with (NUTO 32 seems to thin, just pores out the bottom after a while).

Also gotta confirm what fitting this is. Took some measurements now so hopefully that means someone can tell me for sure:

R0000004 by Rhyolith, on Flickr
top (above taper) is 1" or 25.5mm in diameter and 17mm high
the indent at the top of the taper is 28.5mm in diameter and 7mm high
bottom of the taper is 44mm
the taper is 70mm long

I would like to get a collet attachment to fit the above for smaller bits, but the ones on Axminster seem very expensive. Anywhere else i should look? (will look on eBay regardless).

The collets and chucks seem quite expensive in general. Is it worth waiting for one to come along cheaper or are they all going to be around £50 (thats just the chuck)?

In my experience metalworking gear tends to be more expensive as you can still put it straight back to work and earn money with it.
This one is a lot cheaper and comes with a couple of collets. Keep an eye on a few and see what they go for before you commit to buying one.

Those prices sound about right. I recently bought an entry-level ER32 collet chuck with collets for the Myford. That set me back about £140.

You how I said it was finished... I just worked out how to get the head off :roll:

Turns out alls was needed was a crow bar to get this gear off, something I'd been unwilling to try in case it simply was not meant to come. In the end I figured that top assembly must come off, and that meant so must that gear.

R0000017 by Rhyolith, on Flickr

With that all the top assemble could be removed revealing what I have been waning to see for the last month, something i could unscrew to get the spindle out!

R0000017 by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Took a bit of faffing around to get a big spanner on that nut, my 1900 billings turned out to be the only thing that would reach.

So with that the spindle came out finally!!

R0000005 by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Which means the whole head could also come.

You can clearly see here why i wanted to get in here now, so glad i have... the amount of dirt!

Also found out where the oil feeder on the top goes.

So I have clean everything with paraffin and a high pressure hose, so everything looks much more usable now.

I have found that part of the seal for the roller bearings is missing, anyone know where i can get something to replace these?

Did you ever work out where to get that seal?

I have this very Milling machne, I need to work out why the quill is quite heavy and seems to fall under its own weight

Back