From woodland to lathe-an oaks journey!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
hello Folks

I bought some green oak a few days ago from my local friendly tree surgeon-the log was/is about 9' long and went from 18 to 22" diameter, its common oak but its been grown in a very wet woodland not far from me which apparently makes it grow slower than normal- it also seems to have given it a slight pink colour in place's
Here's some pics i took on my camera phone when i was collecting the oak- then a pic of the 5 sections stored in my log store and a hollow form i've made today from the oak.

the front of my van and some beech and ash logs- the oak pictures were to blurry!!
DSC00112.jpg

my log store
P1040415-1.jpg

the hollow form 6.5" wide by 5.5" tall
P1040496.jpg

P1040498.jpg

Very nice. I wish I had a nice supply like that.

Very nice George, I really like the shapes!

How many forms do you expect to get from a log about 18" dia. I'd be interested in knowing how you go about prepping the blanks. I'm guessing that you chainsaw the log into say 3 wedges, and then take the corners off before mounting on the lathe.

Your post reminds me that I need to turn something for my tree surgeon mate that dropped off a length of cherry a while ago. (in the hope that he drops off more wood :wink: :wink: )

Cheers

Aled

George has posted the process before, I think it was also on his blog, but that genius we call a site owner has broken the blogs :roll:

Thank you for your comments

Tom: the blog thing was/is a bit annoying- i will have to trawl thru the old posts find everything again and start a new blog elsewhere

Paul.j: pure luck Paul :D

Blister: it would have done but i prefer to fill the grain when i'm sanding.

Aled: I can get 4 forms (about this size) and two 14" bowl blanks form one log. as for the process- a chainsaw is involved but i dont take the corners of blanks this size.

George, the free services like Wordpress would be a better bet. Or if you would like me to help you set one up on your own website, I can.

wizer":3lju05hv said:
George, the free services like Wordpress would be a better bet. Or if you would like me to help you set one up on your own website, I can.

Yes, in fact, my whole site is built in Wordpress, so it's more of a blog with a few pages tagged on. Once set up (by my mate, I wouldn't know where to start) it's very easy to edit/add stuff using the Dashboard.

Cheers

Aled

George,that has to be the briefest WIP I've ever seen :lol: :lol:

Nice Oak form though 8) How much distotion will you expect from wet Oak? I guess its turned really thin?

JT

Back