For your critique, I thank you!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps
Permit me to introduce `Alpha 3` the third in my `B&Q drawer handle` series :lol:
4574103535_f7f21564d3.jpg

ok maybe not to everyones taste and yes the handle is a bit too big but fun making it. Elm (I think) 6" high 6" diam. Not many handles left now. :lol:

4574103189_a5e6529761.jpg

Tulipwood 11" diameter 4" high
Steve[/img]

Yep, no problem and they are worth looking at. I like the idea of the handles as finials. It seems to work with this wood as well. I can see that it won't be everyone's cup of tea but it is great to see people going outside the normal bowls and candlesticks and thinking new things. Keep 'em coming

pete

Hi George
No problems at all. Believe it or not I made this form as an experiment using the `Golden ratio` as you may know its a measurement used by Architects etc to determine the most pleasing shape/view of an object and I have to agree with you although my camera taking has distorted it slightly, I much prefer Mark Sangers use of 1/3rds.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,
I really like the bowl, lovely wood and a pleasing shape.
Sorry, not so sure about the other one, like the handle idea, but not sure about the shape of the form.

Malc :D

Gasmansteve wrote
my camera taking has distorted it slightly
Any chance of another piccy then Steve if it has been distorted that much :?:
If not i would say that it all looks out of proportion to my expert eye :lol:
If it was flatter more oval shape i think the handle would look right with it,but as it is it just looks way too big and heavy looking.
Love the bowl and the dark area it as.Good natural contrast :D
I think you are doing better than me with your hollow forms :(
Hows the Viccy coping :?:

Steve, B&Q will charge you more if they find out what you're using them handles for :lol: Like George I'm not keen on the shape. I think if the fat bit was much higher on the piece (on the top) and the curve of the top matched the underside of that 'Handial' it would look much better.
However, the way your lid matches the shape of the vessel is spot on 8) and the finish looks excellent. Keep making them,you are definitely headed in the right direction :D

The bowl is a cracker!

JT

gasmansteve":1ekqlwcl said:
Hi George
No problems at all. Believe it or not I made this form as an experiment using the `Golden ratio` as you may know its a measurement used by Architects etc to determine the most pleasing shape/view of an object and I have to agree with you although my camera taking has distorted it slightly, I much prefer Mark Sangers use of 1/3rds.
Cheers
Steve

Isn't the rule of 1/3rds just an approximation to the golden ratio?
I tend to stick to approximate 1/3rds as it's just easier to figure out. When working on platters and wider bowls I sometimes go for 1/6 or 1/9 and they work pretty well too.

I like the handle idea but the proportions don't work for me. Did you apply the golden ratio to the finished height or to the height without the lid?

I think the handle would work better if it was maybe 1/2 it's current size which, when measured on screen, would make it approx. 2/3rd the overall diameter.
If the widest diameter was higher, as suggested by Johnny, then it could be at about 2/3 the overall height and could be a closer match to the curve of the handle.

Could you explain which measurements you applied the golden ration to? From thinking about it in the past it can get really complicated if you start to consider total height and width, width of neck, size of base, positions that the above and below curves pass through, width of rim etc. You can relate the GR to the overall dimensions but you also then apply it between components, such as foot to rim etc.

Thanks for sharing. It'll certainly make shopping at B&Q more interesting in the future

Duncan

Paul - Not sure if this is any better?
4576002022_55eca76b52.jpg

Duncan - Its was the height of the form excluding the handle/lid.
I knocked up some `Golden ratio` calipers with dimensions from a web site giving an AB to AC ratio of 0.618
4576001372_03abed4ebb.jpg

I`ve maybe made the mistake of making the base = lid =2" ie 1/3rd the forms diameter?
Regards
Steve

Not sure about the hollow form , But that Tulipwood bowl is beautiful !!!

Hi Steve

I love the lidded form. I like very much the way you have used a door handle ( why did I not think of that) :) , it is a strong statement. I am biased as I like to see different media included in work and stainless steel and wood go fantastically.

In relation to what you say about the base and the golden ratio.

There are several points that may help with this. You are right to have the base at 1/3 the diameter of the form. However you have put the main change of flow halfway up the form which does not conform to the golden ration.

This line conflicts with this rule. This is in itself not an issue but what happens when you bring the line/curve down is that the eye is drawn lower down the form and what it picks up on is the hard line/join of the base of the form with the table.

What also can accentuate the base is the lid being black (again no issue with this, I love it as it goes with the stainless steel)

What the black does do however is make the lid/dia of the neck look smaller than it actually is due to the colour/tone being dark. This again accentuates the join of the base with the finial.

Also you have included a dark knot/inclusion. Again no issue here as they can add beauty. But also at times again they can pull the eye downwards so being mindful of where these are placed is also something that can change the form of a piece.

What I do on my forms which I picked up from Andy Di Pietro ( see the ink at the bottom) is to tuck the base in within the last 10 mm or so. I turn mine right in under so that the flow of the outside line of form flows right around in a continual curve.

What this does is to create a continuous line as well as a shadow, this in turn lifts the form and enables the eye to continue around the form without a break.

If you do this the form will look lighter and the base will look much better.

Andy Di Pietro is one of my favourite hollow form turners as the line he produces is in my opinion one of the best around.

These are just my observations and you may want to have a look at Andy's work as it is really inspirational.

The bowl is very pleasing of both form and finish.

Great work and keep up the stainless steel connection, it is really striking.

http://www.woodartforms.com/

Thanks for the comments guys and to Mark for the in depth advice.
Clearly I have not quite grasped the `Golden ratio` in relation to forms must look furthur into it :wink:
Regards
Steve

gasmansteve":gxkbjt7w said:
Thanks for the comments guys and to Mark for the in depth advice.
Clearly I have not quite grasped the `Golden ratio` in relation to forms must look furthur into it :wink:
Regards
Steve

Hi Steve

My in depth explanation above should not be taken that I know everything about the golden ration. Far from it. :) A form may work on its own, but as soon as a lid is put on it it changes the ratio. Then each part of the lid should also relate to the ratio and in turn interconnect with the other parts which as a whole should also relate to the ration, and so on.

So where as here you have applied the golden ration to the main form. As soon as the lid was put on top it becomes part of the whole and alters the line of the main form down to the middle of the whole.

Much more simply put, one part/line will have a influence on the next.

The ratio is a good basis but if it looks good to you then that is all that matters.

can we see the hollow form without the lid to judge the golden ratio bit without the lid which was not included in the GR calculations?

Miles

Miles

I just fold a piece of paper in half and hold it over the bit I want to exclude.

mark sanger":nkxz9jjg said:
Miles

I just fold a piece of paper in half and hold it over the bit I want to exclude.
Such a low tech method Mark! :) Sadly it doesn't seem to balance it all out - the bulge still looks too low but maybe that just because I'm so used to George's and your forms where the widest bit tends more to the top.

Miles

Miles

It is a very different form to what we may be use to. The sharpness of the curve also brings the eye into it and may amplify what we see within the form.

The golden ratio I have found is a good basis to start with but it can be broken.

Hi guys
Sorry for delay replying.
So I gather to utilise the `golden ratio` with regard to woodturning you must use it with the whole object including lids/handles etc and not just like in mine the main form?.
Then this would require a handle up to point C below
4586211867_e12364b6f1.jpg

and also the handle/lid should also be made to conform to the ratio itself too?.
Getting a bit complicated now :?
Steve

Back