First piece for critique...be honest with me!! (and gentle)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinks

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a lump of Zebrano lying round a while and managed to get an hour down the shed this evening. This is Zebrano, about 7 inches across and 4 inches deep, sanded with abranet for the first time (good stuff) finished with simple shellac sanding sealer and a few coats of melamine laquer. Critique away please!! Photo not the best as Mrs Spinks was at hand with only her phone

Zebrano bowl.jpg

Attachments

• Zebrano bowl.jpg
    Zebrano bowl.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 1,574
If I turned that out I'd be well chuffed. It's lovely! That's all you're getting from me cos I'm brand new and in no position to comment...

I have zoomed in and i cannot see any tool marks or scratches √, finish looks good √ and the curves seem to run together.√ Unusual shape makes it unique, may not appeal to everyones taste, but then again it might :)

A positive thumbs up from me. =D>

If I had turned that bowl as a first piece for critique I think I would be dead chuffed, its got a great finish and Nev has done his inspection bit on it and cant find the tool marks so well done. This should be not taken as any form of critiscism of what you have done, but I wish someone had told me to read Richard Raffans book The art of turned bowls. I'm far from a master at bowls, unless you mean dog bowls, but that book taught me so much about creating definition in your bowl through the use of shadow, the design of feet, rims as individual items and how to join them to produce a balanced item in both function and form. It has enabled me to really enjoy making bowls. For the same price as a large lump of Zebrano you wont regret that purchase. It also smells better than Zebrano!!

Thanks all, much appreciated, I already have the book you mentioned Neil, its a great read and a mine of information....consider yourselves all officially thanked!!

Dangermouse":33jzm68l said:
......... Reminds me of a bowler hat !

+1..... it also reminds me of my Mum's old potty..... which is not a bad thing.

I think it's great spinks! I would be well chuffed to have made something like that!

Thanks Andy, It does look like a pee pot now I look at it, popped it back in the lathe tonight and put a couple more coats of melamine laquer on as it lost its original lustre overnight...looks even better now.

Your positive comments has spurred me on now and I tried a thin wall bowl tonight out of ash, Mrs Spinks loved it but I think its a little plain...anyway positive reviews have helped and I am turning like a banshee now!!!

Ha ha as the others have said an excellent first piece, pee pot, bowler hat :D I have had all those comments about my bowls too, our manager at work even put one bowl on his head but I wasn't quick enough to get a pic.
Once again very well done wood is nothing without shape or form and a really good finish is everything. =D> =D>

That Is A mighty Fine bowl with a great Finish And Wonderful grain pattern I Take My hat off To You fantastic
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Regards
Bill

I concur with the general view here that you have turned a very nice bowl here, spinks.

If I had one constructive criticism it would be that the rim is slightly too thick - I would have made it about half of the apparent thickness from the picture.

I like zebrano and you have some beautiful swirly grain on this piece which only adds to the overall effect. Well done!

Like the swirly grain on the chunky bowl - very nice. Looks well finished too. I am inclined to agree with Mike about the rim thickness and would personally prefer to see it a bit thinner.

Latest posts

Back