1st bowl for critique - updated with 2nd bowl 8/5/11

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpot

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I got myself a cheapo old draper lathe just to see if I liked turning and have been messing about doing beads and coves on whatever I have about my small workshop.

Still loving it so I got myself over to John Davis in Stockbridge and got some good advice on attempting a bowl and a bowl gouge. I did buy a couple of ash blanks while I was there but thought I would have a go using a bit of oak I was given over the weekend (I know somebody who's son makes oak framed buildings).

I wasn't expecting too much and was just seeing if I could get a small bowl for car keys/loose change - and I am fairly pleased as a first attempt.

I turned the outside on a faceplate and then used a jam chuck for the bowl - finished with a cellulose sanding sealer and clear briwax

I am pretty thick skinned so any comments welcome - if the photos work :)

IMG_5019_800x533.jpg

IMG_5021_800x533.jpg

IMG_5022_800x533.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_5019_800x533.jpg
    IMG_5019_800x533.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_5021_800x533.jpg
    IMG_5021_800x533.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_5022_800x533.jpg
    IMG_5022_800x533.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 975
Andy,

I wish my first bowl was of that standard!!

You teach us all with shops full of kit what can be done with a bit of tallent and some application.

I really like the curve you have achieved on the outside and to turn with a jam chuck obviosuly means your technquie is pretty good also.

Well done you - so next project is...........?

BRgds
Simon

Hi Andy,
Your bowl looks just great! You have avoided the common tendency when starting out to produce a bowl with straightish sides and a flat bottom. You have produced a smooth, flowing curve and the concentric rings on the base are a nice finishing touch.The finish looks very good too.
Well done!

Ian

I'de be proud of that now, for a first I think it's great. Well done indeed. =D> =D> =D>

I will echo others' comments

The outside curve works particularly well with the grain and the base works well with the proportions and outside curve.....:)

Wow! Thanks for all of the positive comments, having lurked on this site for a while I can see it is a great resource of help and advice from friendly people!

Like I said, I am happy with it as a first effort but being critical I think the outside curve is a touch flat and there are a few nicks on the outside of the foot (probably from the jam chuck which was very tight).

I think my next effort will be much the same but a tad larger and a bit deeper which I will share with everyone on here.

Thanks again

Andy

First Bowl !

=D> =D> =D>

Thats a great Bowl - you should be well proud.

Thanks for this Andy, an inspiration for fellow beginners!

JonF.

Hi guys

After all of your positive comments last week I couldn't stop myself from getting out to the workshop and having a go at another bowl.

I had in mind to do a similar bowl to the first but wider and deeper but once I got started I couldn't see it working and anded up with what is shown in the photos below.

Again I am quite pleased, it is beech (an 80p blank from John Davis bargain bucket) and finished with cellulose sanding sealer and clear wax. This time I hot glued the blank to a scrap turned the bowl and the outside curve, removed it and jammed it on a scrap spigot to turn the bottom.

Size = 9cm diameter and 5cm high

There is a small defect in the wood which I didn't see until I had finished roughing the outside curve which I quite like.

Oncer again any critique welcome - for myself I think the walls would look better if they were thiner and maybe a soft edge in the transition into the bowl would look better.

IMG_5024_800x533.jpg

IMG_5026_800x533.jpg

IMG_5027_800x533.jpg

Cheers

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_5024_800x533.jpg
    IMG_5024_800x533.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_5026_800x533.jpg
    IMG_5026_800x533.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 818
  • IMG_5027_800x533.jpg
    IMG_5027_800x533.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 818
I think that you are telling porkies. 1st two bowls? The finish and shape on the first is really good, I'm not a fan of the squarer type shapes like the second but again the workmanship is really good. Getting a decent finish on the inside of a flat bottom bowl isn't easy but you seem to have achieved it. Be interesting to see where you go from here LOL

Pete

This is good too. Difficult to cut the inside, with such a sharp angle at the bottom. I don't see an outside defect, just nature. I agree with the inner edge to match the outer edge a little more. The main thing is that there don't seem to be any tools marks to see, so that is great.

Your first two bowls! :shock: Well done, the first one is much more pleasing form/shape wise. Just keep going bowls 3,4,5,..etc. will just keep getting better!

Back