Ever been had ? read this

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well you may recall my sequence of events recently , well here is the latest update

I advertised a Fuji S5 pro DSLR camera with Nikon lens for sale on a internet web site , I had a call from a potential buyer who sounded very keen to buy

Asked If he could come and have a look to check the condition and operation
Sounds good so far ?

When he arrived he had a good look and said he would buy it for the selling price of £500 , and as he had just sold some items through PayPal would I accept a papal payment for the £500 , I said yes as long as he covered the £17.50 charges .

So I got paypal up on my PC he logs into his account and sends me £500 then logs out

I check my emails and get one confirming I had received a £500 transaction , so I the go into my paypal account and see a transaction for £500 and it says it is completed

So , deal done and off he goes with the camera

Today I check my emails and have one claiming back the £500 from my Paypal account
I phone Paypal and they say the person claimed it back because of unauthorised use of his account , and advise I go and report it to the Police , and that they are investigating my claim

So with the Police we have who will not want to know as with all my other events involving the Police , It looks like I have been turned over !!

So warning to you all , be careful

Bummer

DO you Know for sure that the person who ripped you off was not the actual paypal account holder, who is just running the scam? I think I might have taken some other ID from him, but too late now. At least when you mail stuff following a paypal enquiry, you have some sort of address to chase, but even that can be difficult in a case such as yours.

No car number plate? easy to think of afterwards, isn't it.

Blimey Allen - not what you need - sorry to hear about this mate.

The money must hove come from an account somewhere along the line, surely they can track him through that?

Hope it get's sorted out soon.

Dave

pursue it, don't give up.
A friend of mine recently had a very similar thing happen to him. Some woman came into his shop, bought a load of gear, card authorised etc, blah blah. Then a couple of weeks later the CC company tried to do a cashback (or whatever they call it) saying the card owner had reported the card had been used without his consent or knowledge?
Thing is my friend was a bit suspicious because of the way the woman was acting so, he followed her home in his car. Guess where to....... the home of the cardholder!!!!!
They all try it on but mention the Police and fraud and they soon drop their claim if it's bogus.

How can Pay Pal take money out of your account without your permision?
Sounds like it's Pay Pal you want to be reporting for thieft of your money!
If they have authourised it, must be their fault :?

andycktm":fgf39qg0 said:
How can Pay Pal take money out of your account without your permision?
Sounds like it's Pay Pal you want to be reporting for thieft of your money!
If they have authourised it, must be their fault :?

Thats not how paypal work, they are a law unto themselves and unregulated at that.

Allen was the camera sold via ebay?
If so this is a common scam, all the buyer would need to do is tell paypal the item was never received and they would have refunded them anyway as you have no proof of delivery. Seems to matter not that the item was collected in person. Paypal are a joke.

Can you put together a good description of who ever it was? Might be worth chasing the police, they won't bother otherwise, but fraud is fraud and they should not get away with it.

Allen be very careful what you post on an open forum.

You never know who's looking in. :wink:

As others have said Gary, you should chase this one up. Get the police to do their job. It must be possible to trace him - they (Paypal) must know where the money went if they took it off you, who did they give it too.

I notice on the news tonight that the Home Office are reporting a big drop in crime figures - I wonder if it's because people are not bothering to report incidents because they know in most cases they will be wasting their time - I know I have.

Don't let him get away with it.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":1nwshik4 said:
As others have said Gary, you should chase this one up. Get the police to do their job. It must be possible to trace him - they (Paypal) must know where the money went if they took it off you, who did they give it too.

As I already said with Paypal he's pi$$ing in the wind. Item was collected, he has no proof of delivery therefor no case with Paypal. I don't make those rules its just how they are. Allen isn't letting him get away with it, he has a bit of an uphill battle on his hands but suitable advice is at hand to him. :wink:

Really sorry to hear of your scam. As Gary says I doubt that you will get very far with PayPal. They are a law unto themselves. All that you'll end up with is a load of adrenalin coursing through your bloodstream when you realise that PayPal will do nothing. Nor can you pursue them through the courts as they are registered in Luxembourg. Question - why would any company with integrity choose to register where they can't be touched.

Are you able to claim off your house insurance? Just a thought.

Bit late now but hopefully others can adopt what I do which is to set up a separate bankaccount for PayPal transactions. As soon as any money goes into it, I transfer it out to mynormal bank account. That way they can't smash and grab it.

The stories on the internet of Paypal are horrifying. There may be scope for taking the issue up with the banking ombudsmen. This could put pressure on the government to force Paypal into the banking regulations.

Even if you do as Roger suggests there are still stories of Paypal using debt collectors. The only solution is not to use Paypal.

Dave

davejester":16ycch8h said:
The stories on the internet of Paypal are horrifying. There may be scope for taking the issue up with the banking ombudsmen. This could put pressure on the government to force Paypal into the banking regulations.

Even if you do as Roger suggests there are still stories of Paypal using debt collectors. The only solution is not to use Paypal.

Dave

Unfortunatly due to ebay changing its policys you have to offer paypal as a means of payment , if you sell on ebay you have no choice its paypal or dont sell on ebay ,,, this is a scam in itself seen as ebay and paypal are now the same company so when you pay your fees to paypal you are just paying ebay , its like shopping at M&S and only being able to use there store card to pay for your goods :roll: :roll:

Paypal have a record of every user so i would chase them up and tell them what has happened but as you dont have proof that the guy collected the item i dont know what they will do for you .

If you happen to have the guys ebay user name then keep an eye on his account and when he offers something up for sale bid on it and win the item then go and collect it from the address he will supply but use someone elses account or he will recognise your user name :wink: thats presuming that it was an ebay sale in the first place ..

Hope this is of some help

Mic..

Thinking on , if the guy used your computer to access his paypal account to pay you then not only will they have a record of the payment but it will also show up your IP address so this would prove he was there to collect the goods :wink: Just a thought ,may be worth chasing up :!:

eggflan":40rcn3be said:
it will also show up your IP address so this would prove he was there to collect the goods :wink: !:

Or that you fraudulently accessed his account to make the payment to yourself which was possibly the basis of his claim and rescinding of the payment. Unfortunately the IP address probably doesn't help.

Cheers Mike

davejester":36n8nwsv said:

Dave

Debt collectors? Only if they have taken you to court surely?

RogerS":2hc436cd said:
davejester":2hc436cd said:

Dave

A firm can employ a debt collector before taking someone to court. It is only bailiffs that cannot be used unless the case has been through the courts.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":wtmdfbzp said:
RogerS":wtmdfbzp said:
davejester":wtmdfbzp said:

Dave

A firm can employ a debt collector before taking someone to court. It is only bailiffs that cannot be used unless the case has been through the courts.

regards

Brian

That's interesting. So what happens when they turn up at your door? Can they force their way in?

No, all they can do is threaten to sue.

It just means that either paypal pay them to chase the 'debt' or paypal sell the 'debt' to the collectors at a discount and cut their 'losses'.

Latest posts

Back