Dust Sniper

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bongodrummer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
some of you may be interested in the Dust Sniper on my Blog
Its plans to make a mobile workbench/cyclonic dust extractor that makes no noise. And I mean, this baby is quiet! Anyway the link goes to a video and some detailed step-by-step build advice.

Would love to know what people think,
thanks, Bongo.

Post subject to Mod edit:
To remove link to external site full of advertising and pop-ups.
For the second time. Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:45 am

Blister":2aarhe3a said:
Is this what is called Spam ?

Yes, but more of a self promoting kind than down right objectionable, having scanned the Blog I personally don't see anything that has not been public knowledge elsewhere for some time.

CHJ":ymivudas said:
Blister":ymivudas said:
Is this what is called Spam ?

Yes, but more of a self promoting kind than down right objectionable, having scanned the Blog I personally don't see anything that has not been public knowledge elsewhere for some time.

Couldn't agree more.

Cheers

Mike

Fair enough. Apologies all :oops: Just thought one or two might like. Will pipe down now till I have something original to contribute.

In all fairness it is often said there is nothing new under the sun. Looks to be a decent
bit of kit and if showing it persuades any one of us to think about dust extraction it can only be a good thing.

I like the construction details and wip pics, would be happier if it worked on a 4" system but nice work and some other interesting stuff on the site aswell.
PS this isn't spam imho.

Bongodrummer":vco7feoh said:
Post subject to Mod edit: to remove link to external site full of advertising junk.

If I did do this, I am genuinely sorry, I didn't think I had any link in there other than the one straight to the step-by-step build details and one in my signature (to my blog - which has NO adds), and I changed that myself. I do apologise if one crept in some how, it certainly was not showing up on my screen.
peace, B.

I'm another who feels that Bongo's done little wrong. I had a look at the Instructables site last night but couldn't see any adverts popping-up whatsoever (don't most people use pop-up and ad blockers now, anyway?). Then again, I'm a regular reader of his blog so, perhaps I'm going to be a bit biased... ;-)

It's not like he's come here trying to sell us diet pills or asking us to join him on his web cam... :shock: This is related to woodwork, after all, and I hope this incident doesn't put him off from contributing more to the forum in future.

Danmoshiem's guilty of a very similar crime and he's been getting away with it for years, without ever contributing to the forum properly, just spamming his blog... :roll:

OPJ":2m0ggqna said:
I'm another who feels that Bongo's done little wrong. I had a look at the Instructables site last night but couldn't see any adverts popping-up whatsoever (don't mos

Totally agree, an enjoyable video and a very very honest video too with links to some nice plans. Its a shame people are up on his case its always nice to see new things like this and it was so nicely made too.

If you have a smartphone you could download a dB app and give some scientific data instead of the toothbrush!

I don't think it's spam either, I enjoyed watching the vid and reading the blog, and it has given me food for thought on my own workshop, thanks Bongo

Before you all set up a lynching mob please be aware that you are not seeing the Original Post in the same form and wording as Blister and all the Mods saw it in the first instance.

There was and is a reason for this entry:

OPJ":31qbxfqv said:
Danmoshiem's guilty of a very similar crime and he's been getting away with it for years, without ever contributing to the forum properly, just spamming his blog... :roll:

I think it's called double standards.

Excellent ingenuity Bongo! =D>

CHJ":1irlab2b said:
Before you all set up a lynching mob please be aware that you are not seeing the Original Post in the same form and wording as Blister and all the Mods saw it in the first instance.

There was and is a reason for this entry:

Hi CJH, the only difference was that the original had a link to my website in the signature section as well as the link to the 'instructable'. I edited that out myself after Blister mentioned spam (I figured 2 links in my first post was a bit cheeky after all)... The only change the mods appear to have made is to take away the link to the instructable, and replace it with a link to my blog (which I found confusing as it made the post no longer make sense). Anyway, I changed it back :p Hope that doesn't cause more trouble.

Agreed though, lynch mob = bad, and I am sure the mods just trying to maintain a productive and useful forum for everyone, without superfluous links.

Really glad some people are finding it interesting, took ages to write up.

Chems: I did actually use my partners phone to measure the dB of the system in various states (the figures are on "step 20In Use, Evaluation, Maintenance") - I just figured a toothbrush would be more fun for the vid :D
Cheers, B.

An excellent reduction:

Sound of both vacs out in the open - 85dB
Sound of one vacuum in the open - 83dB
Sound of both in the DS - 61 (but varies a lot depending on where the end of the hose is situated - the air rushing in at the tip is almost the only precipitable noise)
Sound of one in the DS - 55

From above the HSE ear damange level to well below. (I think . . .I can't remember weather they say its was 83 or 93db for ear damage nvr mind!)

What about life of the vacuum? Does it harm it to be enclosed like that?

Chems":z57m8w7l said:
What about life of the vacuum? Does it harm it to be enclosed like that?

That was also my concern, no air circulation around the motor causing excessive heat build up?

Bongo, there was no problem with your signature link to your blog, there was no need to remove it, the duplication in the main body of the post was unnecessary though, however for those members who are not party to the other site link you posted and have the appropriate cookies on their machines and do not run pop up blockers etc. it can result in unwanted pop ups and points directly to an advertising stream, which is what was being referred to as spam from someone making their first post.

Hence the edit to change the url link to point to your blog, which in turn carries your original link, members then have a choice to follow that link if they so choose.

Re-editing a mods amendment to a post without consulting the mods would have resulted in the complete removal of the thread on most forums.

CHJ, Thanks for the clarification.

Chems & Shane: there is a thread of comments on the instructable about the possible overheating issue. Relevant bit is:

"The motors are in little more danger of overheating by being enclosed as long as they are cooled by the fresh air they themselves suck in, and the air exit is not obstructed.

In fact, this is how vacuum motors can be so ‘overspun’ and ‘undersized’, for what they are. They rely on the cool fresh air that they suck in, which is put through a filter and them blasted through the motor windings. Incidentally, that is why they make terrible motors if you try and repurpose them for anything other than air moving applications.

Cheers, Bongo.

Back