Dust Be Gone Mask

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried one of these?

SAF-DustbeGoneMask.jpg

"Developed by a woodturner for fellow woodturners. New concept in lung protection against non-toxic dust. Adjustable to fit all face shapes including beards. Easy to breathe and talk through, does not fog glasses. Can be washed, disinfected and re-used. Initial masks are still going strong after 5 years. Made in USA"

A guy at our club has one and I thought it is a good solution when turning in sociable situations. Such as club nights, play time at blister's, bashes, etc. The fact that it's not big and bulky like the airace and you can talk through it makes it appealing. But can it really be good at preventing dust getting to you lungs? I guess it's better than nothing but it's certainly not cheap. Bearing in mind that I'm now saving for an Aircap ;)

"Does not fog glasses"
Unless you get the fit right I can't see that being right.

Anything you cover your nose and mouth with can fog glasses if there's a gap either side of your nose.

As for how well it would stop dust, I'd have thought there'd be a spec sheet available to answer that one.

I think this caveat is significant: Not NIOSH or OSHA approved

As are the comments in the FAQ's about fit and fogging, very reliant on wearer to ensure tightened just the right amount to ensure it conforms to the face.

I personally would not trust them for anything much smaller than sawdust/chippings.

I like mine.
3 years old, still going strong & been washed loads of times.

Great for when i need dust protection but can`t be bothered with the Trend airshield.

yes I had one , load of rubbish , sent it back and had a refund no questions asked

Used it for a turning session , when up the house blew my nose and half a tone of wood dust came out

Not impressed at all :?

Even if it does stop the dust it isn't going to do much to prevent you getting whacked in the face by anything flying off the lathe. Full face visor for me thanks.

Blister":520z5nnk said:
yes I had one , load of rubbish , sent it back and had a refund no questions asked

Used it for a turning session , when up the house blew my nose and half a tone of wood dust came out

Not impressed at all :?

Same for me. I tried for ages to adjust the fit so I didn't get a hanky full of dust after a session but in the end gave up. Waste of money!

Maybe it's because I have a beard?

I have had 2 of them for a few years. They work, but having a full beard, they do little more than filter out most of the dust. I have never been able to get a mask that would keep my glasses from fogging up except one of the positive pressure systems (fan blowing air through a filter down over your face). Maybe having double the lung capacity of the average person is part of that (yea, I know makes me more full of hot air than any one else), but it is better than nothing, you can adjust it to fit almost any face, and you can wash it. The only time I wear one is when turning black walnut. That stuff seems to irritate me, even wet. Having a good hood and high volume dust collector does just as good of a job.
robo hippy

I use a dust be gone when I demo and for one find it invaluable when demonstrating as it protects me whilst performing and allows those viewing to still hear but I do find they get hot, I would not be without it.

I would add that it is not something that I would rely on as a substitue for a powered respirator and is better than not wearing anything as many do.
Nick Arnull.

Thanks everyone, I'll stick with the JSP IP.

Nick: Welcome to the forum, I was meant to be coming to see you at Orchard Wood Turners Club this weekend but apparently I have to attend my 30th birthday bash :roll: :lol:

I have an opportunity to try one of these out and write a review. My "credentials":

I'm a bearded specs wearer.
Currently use a Trend Airace.
Previously used one of those double filter face mask types.
Tried and did not get on with the Trend Airshield.
My only other dust control is a Trend T30AF.

I really want this to be good experience because it looks a lot less cumbersome than most filters, can be cleaned, and just looks a whole lot more comfortable. On the other hand I take protection of my lungs and sinuses seriously.

Before I take up the offer I want to be sure that UK Workshop is prepared to publish the review as that is my part of the deal.

I could not see any advice on the Reviews page for members proposing to write reviews so I thought I would post here for advice and to also see if members remained open-minded enough for a review to make a difference?

Matt anyone can post personal reviews on the forum. As for the UKW Website, that is updated by Charley and hasn't been touch in well over 2yrs. I'd be surprised if any new reviews were posted there and to be honest I don't think it'd be very beneficial to anyone if they were.

So let us know how you get on with it. I'm certainly interested.

Latest posts

Back