Day Bed Model

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mreagleeyes

Established Member
Reaction score
A Day bed that is destined for the Greek Island of Tino.
The model is 1:10 scale and I'm afraid made using MDF once again, once I get my thicknesser I will start making my models in the actual full scale timber.
I used Styrofoam for the construction of the pillows and cushions and the silk was provided by mother.
The client is undecided on using Teak, Iroko or Oak.

Should I be concerned about my choice of timber when the piece will be sitting in the blazing sun of a Greek island or do things like that not matter too much. I only ask as the construction will be mainly through tenons and I have no idea how much a timber would shrink in such a dry and very hot environment?.
4166918056_f5699be6d6_b.jpg

4166913776_147f3fefc7_b.jpg

4166149831_b7a396d7fc_b.jpg

4166146819_f15f71a959_b.jpg

4166143035_fc965d6560_b.jpg

4166139463_b67d48391c_b.jpg

4166895264_817bec0000_b.jpg

Once again thanks for looking. There is still a bit of work to do on the model but thought I'd get it out there for you guys.

That's very nice. I take it you will be making it in the UK and shipping it over? As long as you use a durable timber you should be ok. think I'd be inclined to use an exotic like Iroko or Teak depending on budget.

I do not know anything about wood (except it comes from trees and B&Q) but that is a lovely piece of outdoor furniture. It screams Greece, blue skies and the Aegean.

Great "Al Fresco" bed but the workshop is a lot more interesting. It's so perfect, including the drawing board, I want to see more.

regards

John

That's a lovely bed, I wish I had space for something like that. Mrs DM79 would love it!

Lovely model indeed! Nicely done, very professional! :)

I'd be with wizer, the teak or iroko sound more appealing and more in fitting with the items location, if you were making for the uk (not much chance of that :D ) then oak would be a likely candidate. In saying that though my choice was solely geography and not of the performance of the particular timber in weather conditions, I know teak has good weather resistant properties with regard to rain etc, not sure how it'd stand up to soaring heat, humidity etc.

CroppyBoy1798":viamvu0p said:
...not sure how it'd stand up to soaring heat, humidity etc.

The answer is 'very well' :wink: Don't forget that teak is one of the most durable of timbers (as well as being the most commercially expensive one) and hails from India and Burma where it's moderately warm and sometimes a bit damp :shock: - Rob

Latest posts

Back