Custom handle for a Veritas Dovetail Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promhandicam

Established Member
Reaction score
When Lee Valley recently introduced the Veritas® dovetail saw with an injection-moulded black back and a bubinga handle, a number of people here and elsewhere commented that the saw would perhaps look better with a matching black handle. Having recently finished making an ebony handle for a Gramercy saw, and having a supply of ebony from a recent posting to Togo, West Africa, I decided to make an ebony handle for the Veritas saw.

The first thing to do was to remove the existing handle—a simple procedure as it is held in place with only one brass fastener.
dt1sm.jpg

I then used the handle to select a suitable piece of ebony, ensuring that the grain direction matched that of the bubinga handle. The ebony was then thicknessed to about 22mm.
dt2sm.jpg

The next stage was to rout the housing in the top of the handle to accommodate the large boss on the spine. I used two fences on the router to improve stability.
dt3sm.jpg

Next, I bored the hole to take the handle stud. Ideally this should be done using a drill press as the hole has to be perpendicular; however, it is possible to do this using a hand-held drill if care is taken. I made a paper template by carefully tracing around the existing handle. The centerline of the stud hole was marked to ensure correct alignment when the template was stuck to the wood with double-sided tape.
dt4sm.jpg

The handle was then roughed out on the bandsaw, cutting outside of the template line. A coping saw could also be used; it would just take a little longer.
dt5sm.jpg

Once the handle was roughed out, I used a rasp to start to shape the handle. I regularly checked the handle to make sure that it felt comfortable when gripped. This has to be the main advantage of making a custom handle—it can be tailored to individual preference.
dt6sm.jpg

Final shaping and finishing was done using a half-round file and sandpaper from 80 to 400 grit. Finally, I used 0000-grade wire wool to apply the first of several coats of clear Briwax®.
dt7sm.jpg

All that was left was to attach the new handle to the saw.
dt8sm.jpg

dt10sm-1.jpg

Compared to making the handle for the Gramercy, it was perhaps a little more complicated as the Gramercy comes in kit form with detailed instructions and a template for cutting the shape. Also not having a pillar drill made drilling the hole for the long stud difficult although obviously not impossible. That said, making the Gramercy would have been easier too with a pillar drill as the positioning of the holes on both is quite critical.

In conclusion, if you fancy making your own handle for this saw it is fairly straight forward and if you do cock it up you can always put the original handle back on!

Finally thanks to Rob Lee and Kate Lewis at Lee Valley for providing me with the saw.

Steve

Superb job and much nicer with a black handle. I'm not sure what the obsession is with Bubinga. I'm bored of it personally. I realise they couldn't afford Ebony in production, but why not ebonised Oak?

wizer":2x6tjqk7 said:
snip . . . I realise they couldn't afford Ebony in production, but why not ebonised Oak?

Or perhaps American Black Walnut? Funny you should say about being bored with Bubinga - when I lived in Cameroon it was about the cheapest wood that you could get so everything was made from it (furniture, doors etc.) From memory a board 30cm x 3.5cm x 3m was around £7 :shock:

Steve

Steve - nice piece of work...still have'nt used that piece of ebony you let me have, keeping it for a rainy day :) - Rob

wizer":3fioswch said:
Superb job and much nicer with a black handle. I'm not sure what the obsession is with Bubinga. I'm bored of it personally. I realise they couldn't afford Ebony in production, but why not ebonised Oak?

There's a lot of people with a simple prejudice - posh handles are sp. dalbergiae (i.e. the rosewood family).

BugBear (not one of them!)

Latest posts

Back