Critique and help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverbirch

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

End grain bowl in sycamore, 4” x 5” approx.
As the plain sycamore looked kinda dull, I sealed it with cellulose then sprayed it with Chestnut Ebonising Lacquer.
The finish turned out a bit patchy and matt rather than the smooth satin finish I`d hoped for.
So, I cut it back with 400grit, reapplied the finished and then waxed it by hand with 0000 steel wool.
This has helped but I`m still not 100% happy with it and the finished article certainly doesn`t justify all the footering around I`ve done.
I made sure the can was well agitated, warm and used in a warm workshop.
Comments on the piece and any tips/suggestions for using the lacquer welcome.

Ian

Attachments

• black.jpg
    black.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,080
I can't see anything wrong with that piece Ian. :D
Great shape,nicely proportioned and the texture takes that plainess off the wall with good effect.
Great looking piece.

Ian

Did you build up light coats ?
or hit it with one coat ?

Its like painting wood primer undercoat top coat

I always do 3 or 4 coats and build a finish

Photos never really show everything do they (this is my excuse for not winning everything each month!) The bowl looks great to me and I really like to look of the finish. Love the texture too.

Too inexperienced to know about the technicalities though. I'm sure you will get the answers you need from others.

Edit:
The lacquer out of the can should result in a high gloss not mat or silk.
If you after maximum gloss then use burnishing cream with a cotton cloth on "hardened" lacquer, if you try to do it before it's fully hardened you will just strip the cured skin.

Be prepared to work any 'frosted' areas due to poor spray cover by hand with lathe stationary.

If you are trying to cut it back to a silk or semi mat are you waiting until it has fully hardened.

I like it a lot but the curve at the bottom half appears to be a little flat and doesn't continue the top part of the curve. It may just be an illusion in the photo though.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions chaps.

Blister, I did try to build up the finish with light coats, but maybe not light enough :? I need to develop more patience!
I have some burnishing cream, so I`ll give that a try next time.
Duncan, thanks for your comments. I think there is a shadow in the photo which is affecting the shape of the curve. I`ll have to to work on improving my photos, but I think I can only cope with one technical problem at a time :)

Ian

Latest posts

Back