Clydesdale Head

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linkshouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Not been in the workshop for a bit but did manage to do this Clydesdale Horses head. It is a part of the bigger Clydesdale and Foal pattern by Kathy Wise.

IMG_1771.jpg

Hope you like it. Critique always welcome.

Regards

Phill

Attachments

• IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 575
Don’t know how to add a quote from your message but you said not been in workshop for a while but....managed to do this. What! That would take me six months lol. How can you just knock out a work of art like that. Wonderful. Seriously though how long did it take to make this.

Out of curiosity how long do people take with their intarsia projects. I know it takes me ages. Sometimes many many hours just to cut the project out.

I spent all day Saturday on the scrollsaw, first chance I’ve had in ages to spend that long on it and thou rally enjoyed it. All I have managed though is to cut it out. Got all the sanding and shaping to do now. Can only spend an hour here and there with work now so it will be a long time to complete.

Great Clydesdale head.

Silversam":3shsvu0j said:
Don’t know how to add a quote from your message but you said not been in workshop for a while but....managed to do this. What! That would take me six months lol. How can you just knock out a work of art like that. Wonderful. Seriously though how long did it take to make this.

Out of curiosity how long do people take with their intarsia projects. I know it takes me ages. Sometimes many many hours just to cut the project out.

I spent all day Saturday on the scrollsaw, first chance I’ve had in ages to spend that long on it and thou rally enjoyed it. All I have managed though is to cut it out. Got all the sanding and shaping to do now. Can only spend an hour here and there with work now so it will be a long time to complete.

Great Clydesdale head.

I made it over a few days, probably 5.

My normal routine is to cut the parts on one day, shape/sand them the next, then apply any staining/colouring the next, then glue up after a couple of hours, finally, last rub down with non abrasive (white scotch pad) then lacquer or polish.

Regards

Phill

linkshouse":2e9bnwnc said:
Not been in the workshop for a bit but did manage to do this Clydesdale Horses head. It is a part of the bigger Clydesdale and Foal pattern by Kathy Wise.

Hope you like it. Critique always welcome.

Regards

Phill
really nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

good job well done it may be just the picture but some thing draws your eye to the bottom of the collar may be a little bit of horse behind it wood help just a suggestion

@aramco, sorry for the confusion, the piece is finished. When I said part of a bigger pattern I should have said taken from a bigger pattern.

@digerman, I know what you mean but this was an attempt at making a smaller piece based on the Clydesdale & Foal pattern.

You can see the original here - https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post1160375.html#p1160375

Regards

Phill

hi Phill I thought it was a pre run for the finished article, you are going to finish it surely ??

take care
John

aramco":t5bssaqb said:
hi Phill I thought it was a pre run for the finished article, you are going to finish it surely ??

take care
John

Sorry, John, I think we're getting at cross purposes...

The Clydesdale with Pony is a pattern available from Kathy Wise shown below -

IMG_1466.jpg

This is a large piece at approx 20" x 20" with 182 pieces. I have made and sold three of these but due to their size and complexity, they are quite expensive.

I thought I would make a smaller and therefore cheaper version by modifying the pattern to just include the Mare's head -

IMG_1771.jpg

This is the finished Mares Head.

Which, as an aside has already sold.

Hope that all makes sense.

Regards

Phill

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 379
hi Phill did not realize that the mare and foal was that big , the head still looks good .

take care
John

Back