Calling members in South Cambs/North Herts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraemeD

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering whether there are any local forum members in the Royston area (on the Cambs/Herts border) who might be interested in meeting informally on a monthly basis with like minded woodies to exchange ideas and tips......plus to discuss the difficulties encountered in working with wood in a part of the country with few commercial sources for our raw materials!

I am not aware of many other keen woodworkers in the area, but by chance met a fellow local devotee last weekend. We realised that there may be more of us out there, and wondered whether there was any scope for arranging some kind of regular local gathering. There are already such meetings around for woodturners, but this would be for more general woodworking. Is there anyone around these parts who might be interested? Please PM me if you are!

Cheers
Graeme

Didn't get a single reply to my posting......is there really nobody around here interested in meeting up??!!

I actually didn't see this thread until now. So I would be interested though I can't really promise to be there all/most of the time as my free time is almost non-existant.

Thanks for the feedback guys....my faith is restored!! I fully understand your collective lack of free time.....I'm exactly the same, as I run my own (non-woodworking) company which takes up a lot of time and energy. However we can see how it goes. The aim really was something very informal, and if people make a meeting only occasionally, then that's perfectly fine! I'll PM you separately to see how we can take this forwards.

Anyone else in the area interested, please feel free to respond.......

Cheers
Graeme

Hi Graeme - another local tempted out of the woodwork!

A timely invitation, as I have just finished a furniture making course at the Cass in London, and was wondering where to look for a bit of support and encouragement. So count me in. I had better get around to filling out my profile now so you can include me in any invitation (it will say location - Cambridge).

Oh and my first post - now back to checking opinions on how to sharpen a Stanley No80 scraper- I think the real answer is to just keep trying - though all the good stuff posted here is much appreciated.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for coming forwards and welcome to the forum! It would be great to count you in, and I am sure that we can all support each other in our various ways. I will PM you separately to discuss logistics.

Cheers
Graeme

Hey Mate

Count me in. Live in Holwell just outside Hitchin so pretty close. If I'm not at sea I'd be interested in any meetings etc. Already met Pvt Ryan who came down to borrow the planer/bandsaw. Open offer to anyone else in a tight spot too if/when I'm back in country. =P~

Forgot to mention that if anyone wants to do a course without travelling to deepest Devon or somesuch that Geoffrey Rowe is good and is just down the A1 near M25 junction. Does ad hoc courses on demand - spent a few weeks with him last year which was money well spent.

More takers.....that's fantastic! I will PM you separately to bring you into the rapidly expanding group!

Cheers
Graeme

Hi Graeme

I am in Watford but don't mind a drive. Like others I have limited free time but always good to meet with fellow woodworkers especially about wood supplies.

Goodness....we'll need a village hall soon to accommodate all the respondents!

Gareth, you're more than welcome. I'll PM you separately to make the connection.

Cheers
Graeme

Well I was born in West Yorks, so it doesn't scare me! But don't tell these southern people or they might just suss me out....... :-"

sorry for bring an old thread back to life, but a search for hertfordshire returned this...

im from central hitchin, had a workshop with my dad but am now living with my partner and our kids. so planning to build my own workshop to teach my kids what my dad taught me!

Would be very intrested in meeting local woodworkers!

Tom.

TornUp":k5o5x4dq said:
sorry for bring an old thread back to life, but a search for hertfordshire returned this...

im from central hitchin, had a workshop with my dad but am now living with my partner and our kids. so planning to build my own workshop to teach my kids what my dad taught me!

Would be very intrested in meeting local woodworkers!

Tom.

Hi Tom

This has turned into a very popular and lively group meeting every month with themed meetings in the Royston area. We have someone else from Hitchin already so you are right in the area! If you PM me your email address I will tell you a little more and the meeting schedule. You could also contact GraemeD who is more local to Royston and was the driving force behind getting this going.

Hey Graeme I would appreciate some info on these meetings.

I currently live in Hatfield I don't know if anyone else comes from this way?

Back