Butcher's block in the shape of a meat cleaver

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone made a Butcher's block in the shape of a meat cleaver if so have you any photo's i have been asked to make one and would love to view a few first to give me a idea thank's
Alan

How would that work? A butchers block is square and designed for brutal chopping of carcasses. How could you do that on something shaped like a cleaver? Or is this a "fashion accessory"? In which case its a chopping board.

I have been known to make a facetious comment every so often (yes, honest!), and even gone as far as poking Jacob (figuratively) with a pencil, but this time, truly.... what?

Even a cutting board shaped like a cleaver would be almost impossible to use.
So is it a conversation piece? I suppose it must be, seeing as we're having a conversation about it.

I havent made or seen one Alan but it hardly takes much imagination to envision it. Make a standard chopping board blank (lots of how tos out there - basic grain alternating glue up), draw or print off the cleaver shape, tape it to the chopping board blank and cut it out carefully on the bandsaw (jig saw if you must but dont expect 90 degree edges) - if you have one smooth the sawn edges with a bobbin sander and add a fine roundover all round the edges with a trim router - few coats of food safe oil and Bob's yer Uncle.

Thank's for the reply yes the person in question told me she had see them some where before 'And i thought if i could find a few examples i could leave her pick the one she like's best thank's again
Alan

glynster":d9pjk235 said:
I havent made or seen one Alan but it hardly takes much imagination to envision it

Yes, except that's a cutting board, and not a butchers block, hence our confusion in the first place

Well thank you we got there in the end well i think we have i will show them to the person who asked me to make one and hopefully away we go thank's
Alan

Here's a Blue Peter - just an experiment.
DSCN2555.JPG

It's offcut of worktop - I haven't oiled it or anything yet.

Attachments

• DSCN2555.JPG
    DSCN2555.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 77
Mineral oil or vegetable oil, maybe, but I'll probably give it to someone and let them do it. It was an experiment to see how long it took, really, as I get more than enough worktop offcuts. If I were making one as a present I would use something a bit decent for the handle - that's a bit of firewood.

Back