Built in wardrobes tutorials!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Woody

Established Member
Reaction score
I have done a couple of built in wardrobes in the past and always thought that I had made life difficult for myself!

Does anybody know of any articles / books / youtube videos that show simple, accurate and effective techniques please?

You've already found it!

Seriously, there are ten years' worth of posts on here, from professionals showing what they do every day through to beginners sharing the challenge of problem solving and things that don't go right first time.

Here are some posts found by searching for wip built-in wardrobe

Brad Naylor's "masterclass" - not actually a wardrobe but full of tested methods of work which would apply:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/four-mdf-alcove-units-wip-t30678.html

some more from other people

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/topic63397.html

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/in-built-wardrobe-t63606.html

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/wip-fitted-wardrobes-finished-t32452.html

- there are lots more!

Although this thread of mine was about workflow, the items under discussion were a pair of wardrobes and alcove units - might be of some help, in addition to the above?

Pete

Thanks to everyone for their helpful responses. I am learning a lot from these helpful posts. I have some questions for petermillard, particularly, however some of the questions are more general and hopefully everybody will chip in.

I am trying to understand how your “carcass cutlist spreadsheet” works.
It shows dimensions for flush door but rail and stiles shown below – why is that?
Under “door calc” groove 20mm is shown – what is this for as I thought the door panels were 6mm?
I don’t understand why you have 2 stiles, 2 rails and 2 rails & stiles. Looking at the drawing the door seems to have 2 stiles & 3 rails (top, middle & bottom). Could you explain please?
What are the formulae you have used for these calculations, so I can have a go at making my own in excel please?

When you say “rationalised” for the timber yard do you use something like MaxCut to produce the most efficient sheet cutting?

I don’t have a Domino but do have a biscuit jointer – will this work just as well?

If finish is applied to the various components before final assembly how do you stop it getting into the Domino (Biscuit) slots? Also if finish is on the edges to be glued won’t this reduce the glue “grab”?

You say you use angle plates screwed to the back of the wardrobes to fix them to the wall – how do you get at them to do this? If the angle plate is fixed to the wardrobe first and then placed in position with only a small clearance all around a unit I can’t see how you could get your hand between the wall and the carcass to fix to the wall.

How would you change your techniques to work with veneered MDF – filling holes where you screwed the carcase bottom to plinth, using a solid timber face frame rails & stiles etc?

The photo you show of the scribing shows a clamp, but I don’t see where you have clamped it to the carcass? Where I will be working is a Victorian house which has large skirting and coving – how would you work around these? Bradnaylor's photos show him offering the glued up face frame to one side of an alcove first, then the other - but how would you do it if the face frame had to fit within a deep alcove?

How do you lay out and drill for the hinges – for flush and inset doors?

Interesting you used hinges with built in soft closers. What model number are they – there seem to be some many variations? Last year I used some with clip on soft closers and they are a pain as they keep dropping off!!

All the software you use is for smart phones / tablets neither of which I possess. Are there similar products for the old fashioned PC?

I have being trying to get my head around Sketchup but am still having problems with it – see attached a partially finished drawing. Is there something else that is easier to use and also free? Do I really need 3D or will 2D be ok.

Wardrobe queries.png

It has to fit over the door into the ensuite hence what appears to be a gap in the middle with a unit above. As you can see the drawing is only partially done. Is there a way of doing this wardrobe using less veneered MDF as its quite expensive to buy? A painted finish is not an option.

Due to the sloping ceiling all doors will need to be hung on the left side. I was going to make the faceframes 38mm wide (19mm sheet + 19mm sheet), but where the door to the ensuite is there is only one sheet. I think the left unit could have the 38mm faceframe flush to the outside edge creating an overhang on the inside of the carcass. However not sure how I could do this on the right hand unit as need to hang the door off that side! Plus not sure 19mm of a gap between house walls / ceiling and wardrobes will give enough wiggle room for out or square walls.

Another attempt at sketchup drawing with some more questions!!!

Wardrobes Queries v2.png

Thanks again and I look forward to your replies.

Attachments

• Wardrobe queries.png
    Wardrobe queries.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,048
  • Wardrobes Queries v2.png
    Wardrobes Queries v2.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,024
Charlie Woody":2hpuahwk said:
Thanks to everyone for their helpful responses. I am learning a lot from these helpful posts. I have some questions for petermillard, particularly, however some of the questions are more general and hopefully everybody will chip in.

Hi there - that's quite a list, I'll do my best...

I am trying to understand how your “carcass cutlist spreadsheet” works.
It shows dimensions for flush door but rail and stiles shown below – why is that?
Some carcasses have panel doors, some have flush doors - it's a multi-functional spreadsheet ;) you'll notice that there isn't a quantity listed for the flush door...

Under “door calc” groove 20mm is shown – what is this for as I thought the door panels were 6mm?
That's for groove depth - used to calc the panel size from the rails and stiles...

I don’t understand why you have 2 stiles, 2 rails and 2 rails & stiles.
OK, initial rails and stiles (separate entries) are to size, subsequent one ("rails & stiles") are the number of lengths of material (2440 x 100 in this example) I'll need to produce the doors - as guided by the ' rails and stiles per door' calc at the bottom...

Looking at the drawing the door seems to have 2 stiles & 3 rails (top, middle & bottom). Could you explain please?
This worksheet wasn't set up to allow for a third rail at the time, so I treated it as a 2-rail door and added a third in 'manually' afterwards.

What are the formulae you have used for these calculations, so I can have a go at making my own in excel please?
Not being funny, but better for you to work this out for yourself - mine has all kinds of 'idiosyncrasies' that make sense to me, but possibly not to anyone else! Happy to help with the basic formulae if you need it though - would probably do this as a separate reply as it would be better with examples..

When you say “rationalised” for the timber yard do you use something like MaxCut to produce the most efficient sheet cutting?
No - I leave that to the yard; the guy on the panel saw is way more efficient than any software! By rationalise, I mean tidy up e.g. the single and double wardrobes I refer to in that thread are the same height and depth, so the carcass sides are common, but using this cultist spreadsheet, they show up as "2# 580 x 1950" twice - once or each carcass. I 'rationalise' this to a single entry of "4# 580 x 1950". Make sense? I also take out any references to phantom flush doors etc... ;)

I don’t have a Domino but do have a biscuit jointer – will this work just as well?
I imagine they'll be fine, though I've never used biscuits on carcass construction personally - perhaps someone else will know more?

If finish is applied to the various components before final assembly how do you stop it getting into the Domino (Biscuit) slots? Also if finish is on the edges to be glued won’t this reduce the glue “grab”?
I haven't found this to be a particular problem, but the vast majority of my work is painted; again, perhaps someone else can chime in on this one?

You say you use angle plates screwed to the back of the wardrobes to fix them to the wall – how do you get at them to do this? If the angle plate is fixed to the wardrobe first and then placed in position with only a small clearance all around a unit I can’t see how you could get your hand between the wall and the carcass to fix to the wall.
Sorry, poorly worded. I either use angle plates or repair plates. Angle plates are set into the top of the carcass, so remain accessible, and repair plates are sets to the back of the carcass, with just a single hole showing above the carcass top.,

How would you change your techniques to work with veneered MDF – filling holes where you screwed the carcase bottom to plinth, using a solid timber face frame rails & stiles etc?
I think I'd either use hardwood plugs to cover the screw-holes, or just use tongue-tite screws - they have a very small head, so can be easily 'lost' with a bit of e.g. wax stick.

The photo you show of the scribing shows a clamp, but I don’t see where you have clamped it to the carcass? Where I will be working is a Victorian house which has large skirting and coving – how would you work around these? Bradnaylor's photos show him offering the glued up face frame to one side of an alcove first, then the other - but how would you do it if the face frame had to fit within a deep alcove?
The clamp was used as a spreader, and bears against the carcass base - or perhaps the shelf, can't remember tbh. With large/ornate skirts and cove, I usually start with a 'profile gauge' - I bought mine from a tile shop yonks ago - then make card templates until I get it right. Then the usual coping saw/jigsaw/whatever...

How do you lay out and drill for the hinges – for flush and inset doors?
I use a 99p hinge marker from eBay - does the job.

Interesting you used hinges with built in soft closers. What model number are they – there seem to be some many variations? Last year I used some with clip on soft closers and they are a pain as they keep dropping off!!
I get them from my timber yard - I'll have to check for a number when I'm back n the workshop.

All the software you use is for smart phones / tablets neither of which I possess. Are there similar products for the old fashioned PC?
My workflow is almost all phone/tablet based now, but I'm sure there'll be something similar for the PC - perhaps a PC user can chip in here?

I have being trying to get my head around Sketchup but am still having problems with it – see attached a partially finished drawing. Is there something else that is easier to use and also free? Do I really need 3D or will 2D be ok.
I gave up using sketch up a few years back - I found I was spending longer doing the drawings than I was making the stuff. I only use/supply 2-D drawings now; haven't noticed a dramatic drop-off in customers...

WRT your other Qs - I don't have a great deal of experience with face-frames tbh, so if you don't mind I'll let someone else pitch in here.

Hope this has helped - if not, do ask and I'll try to clarify.

Cheers, Pete.

You can get little natural wood veneer self adhesive stickers to cover the screws- then you can apply the same finish as the rest. It would mean you having to drill a shallow hole so the veneer sticker is flush

Ive used masking tape before when spraying laquer so the part that needs glue is left bare. If im using 19mm veneered mdf I use a slightly smaller tape

Pete

That post needs some sort of award for the level of helpful detail - this forum really can bring out the best in people!

=D> =D> =D>

Hi there - that's quite a list, I'll do my best...

Pete

Thanks a million for the initial post and detailed responses =D> =D> =D> ..... sorry I had so many questions. Luckily for you that you live so far away from me otherwise I would be asking could I come around to see all that clever software in action :lol: :lol: :lol:

No problem - happy to,help and hope it all made some sense! I'll dig out the reference for the hinges tomorrow.

Cheers, Pete

Charlie, biscuit jointer will be fine that's what I used in that thread of mine, I've now sold it and bought a domino though :grin::grin::grin:

chippy1970":1vff313x said:
Charlie, biscuit jointer will be fine that's what I used in that thread of mine, I've now sold it and bought a domino though :grin::grin::grin:

Thanks Chippy.

Just wondering how you are coping with the loss of your biscuit jointer ..... must be so hard going down the Green & Black slippery path ?:lol:

It was a good jointer a mafell one, to be honest I hadn't used it as much as I thought I would. I used it on that wardrobe job then a week later I contacted the shop and said I wasn't happy with it as a rubber foot had fallen off. They exchanged it for a complete new one so the guy who bought it off me pretty much got a brand new tool.

I swapped to the domino for a few reasons , one was I liked the fact that if building carcasses the front edges align perfectly when gluing up. With biscuits there's side to side play so you need to check alignment of the carcass sides. Another reason they were at an incredible price with free domino systainer.

I'm sure its gonna come in handy for many jobs.:grin:

chippy1970":18fsr7o1 said:
It was a good jointer a mafell one, to be honest I hadn't used it as much as I thought I would. I used it on that wardrobe job then a week later I contacted the shop and said I wasn't happy with it as a rubber foot had fallen off. They exchanged it for a complete new one so the guy who bought it off me pretty much got a brand new tool.

I swapped to the domino for a few reasons , one was I liked the fact that if building carcasses the front edges align perfectly when gluing up. With biscuits there's side to side play so you need to check alignment of the carcass sides. Another reason they were at an incredible price with free domino systainer.

I'm sure its gonna come in handy for many jobs.:grin:

I have the mafell one too! It's coming up to 10 years old now (I can remember that as it was a pressie for one of those birthdays that end with a zero :lol: ). Axminster are having a Festool demo day in May and I'm going down to have a play with the two versions of the domino. I had to do a load of mortise & tenons recently and I had to do mortises with the router and tenons on the table saw, then round off the tenons etc - what a lot of flaffing around :cry:

Mind you will need to save a good few pennies if I want to buy one.

I'm a bit puzzled by the L shaped scribing pieces described earlier. Presumably the wardrobe box is placed on a levelled plinth and centred in the alcove in the alcove. I can see how a scribing piece is held on one side while the line is drawn, and then the waste cut away.

At this stage is the position of the wardrobe marked, the scribed piece removed, and the process repeated on the other side with the unit moved a little to make way for the second, as yet uncut L shape? It seems method open to errors as I understand it but I can't see how else it is done.

Can anyone describe the process of offering up and marking the pieces to be scribed?

cheers

roman

This may help:-

8454468803_805a564eba_c.jpg

The carcass remains fixed in place. With the base of the infill temporarily secured inside the carcass, a line can be scribed to the ceiling or wall using a couple of pieces of scrap equal to the thickness of the carcass + infill together, then the infill cut to this line. This scribed infill is now fixed to the outside of the carcass in the usual way.

If you're scribing the side of a carcass to a wall, you have to take note of any hinge plates or shelves, and notch the base of the infill to accommodate them.

HTH Pete.

I have just worked out the cost of materials, based on the design below, and was surprised how much it came to! This design uses 6 sheets of 19mm & 4 sheets of 6mm veneered MDF and 6 cu ft (sawn allowing for wastage).

Is there another way of achieving the same storage space but reducing the amount of materials used please?

Wardrobes Queries v2.png

Attachments

• Wardrobes Queries v2.png
    Wardrobes Queries v2.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 569
Hi Charlie. I have to say that it does take a lot of materials for a build like this, (hence the high cost to the customer for the build) but after looking at your plan I see you have doubled up the upright panels on two of the units. These can use a single panel between them if you use a set of hinges designed to be hung side by side, (half overlay I think they are called) it would mean constructing the units on site but that would be easier anyway due to transporting them. When I build this sort of unit I also use biscuits for assembly and screws in from the top and bottom so they won't show when assembled. I build the carcasses laid down on the floor which is covered and then stand them up and manoeuvre them onto the base frame and into place. once they are in place then I can fit scribe panels to the sides and cornice to the top. HTH. :wink:

Hi Pete,
That’s great, many thanks. I’d have scratched my head all week and still not thought of it. I can see that with the widest gap between the wall and 6mm section of infill needs to be less than the thickness of the carcass material.

I’ve only made a seven or eight shelving alcove units, none with doors yet, but I think the L shapes might still be useful if done with great care so as not to show the join with the carcass. In any case the idea of hooking the infill around the carcass to draw the scribe line as my method of using pins or double sided tape can lead to inaccuracies, esp when using mdf which is prone to bending.

I’d appreciate any comments on my methods as I need to quicken my work to make it more economical.

Firstly, I have no workshop, only site tools. On top of the basics I use mafell track saws and reasonable dust extraction. Cuts are made on saw horses/workmate with sacrificial material underneath.
I’ve been using 25mm mr mdf most of the time with 12mm backs, and timber lipping. I think I over engineer the plinths which is easy to remedy. I rout housings for the shelves which is messy but gives greater strength when shifting the units around. I screw through the carcass into the ends of the shelves. The backs are glued and pinned as are the lippings (I tried glued biscuits alone but found that the lippings didn’t line up that well). My scribes take too long with multiple journeys to my bench for trimming. I understand some allow an the scribed piece to overhang the insides of the carcass whereas until now I’ve tried to get it flush. On occasions I have fitted a piece of material to cover the plinth and scribed to the skirtings to either side. This worked well but takes a lot ofwork and there must be a better way!

Finally, filling sanding and painting is very familiar ground to me but I’m just beginning to think about a sprayed finish. Having never tried it before, are there any here who use a sprayer in customers houses?

thanks for your thoughts,

roman

Back