Broken Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemsby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just noticed my Elektra Beckum 315 has thrown a wobbler #-o

The part shown has lost both of the lugs ( just glued them back for visual ) Wondering if anybody has had to buy this part? If so was it possible to get just this or is it a "buy the whole guide assembly"?

No doubt I can get it/them from Metabo but are there any other decent suppliers of Elektra/Metabo Parts

I could drill & tap the casting above the broken lugs & fit a plate (abt 5mm thick) but if I could buy just the broken part its not worth the work. Getting lazy in my old age.

Thank's

Grayo":17z6o29i said:
Where is the part located on your bandsaw ???
Hi,

I have attached the bracket back on the guide assembly it has a Black cross on it. The complete assembly is attached through the 2 open slots with 2 large self tapping screws to the bottom of the Aluminium guide carrier extrusion, not a clever design as the weight of the guide assembly together with what ever pressure is applied to the cutting action is taken by the area with the thin lugs.

Regards
Keith

If you are not able to buy the small part you need it may be more economic to have it made from a more robust material at a small engineering workshop. Or if you have a mate who has a lathe it doesn't seem such a difficult part to mill? Probably cheaper to have it made anyway :?: :?:

David

On the drawing link above I think it's listed as number 84 THREE-ROLLER GUIDE Part No: MET-1009018022.22 but not 100% sure it's priced at £49.93 inclusive of VAT.

Hi

Thank you all for replies.

According to Metabo the individual part I was after is no longer available only the complete assembly.

About £50 would not be a bad price if other parts of the assembly were U/S but they are all perfect. I would object to paying that for 1 small part which would almost certainly be poorly designed as the original.

Its seems like I will be repairing it myself, will post pictures when completed, may help somebody else in future.

Regards

Keith

No problem Keith, yes the part I found above looks like it comes as the whole assembly at £49. I'm sure others will be interested in your repair so keep us posted with pictures as well if possible.

Cheers

Graham

Hi,

The repair works very well and is very sturdy & stable when fitted to the machine. Sorry but the photo's are listed in reverse order I hope my text & photo's make sense. My instructions appear more involved than when you actually do the repair. Should anybody need more details please contact me.

The surface of the broken casting that fits against the aluminium extrusion needs to be filed flat to remove the cast location boss (this is not needed)

Cut the new plate large enough to cover the area of the casting you have just filed flat, the dimensions do not have to be precise, this thickness needs only to be enough to support the guide assembly, mine was 5mm steel, Aluminium would be fine it can be thicker if you prefer the only thing this makes a difference to is the length of the screws you need.

The screws I used to secure the new plate to the casting were 4mm Csk these are more than man enough for the job, in any case it is not really possible to use larger due to the thickness of the casting.

As you can see I used just 2 screws for fixing. I will not give measurements for their positions it is much easier to visually select 2 places on the broken casting that are suitable then mark these on the new plate. With a small clamp holding the parts together drill thru the plate into the casting to the required depth with the tapping size drill (3,2 mm diam)

Turn the clamped assembly over then using the stop end position of the slots in the casting as a jig, drill 2 holes thru your new plate (hole diam should be a close clearance diam to the 2 self tapping screws that hold the assembly to the aluminium extrusion. You can make these larger later if required.

Separate the casting from the plate and tap the 2 M4 holes in the casting.

Drill M4 clearance in the 2 holes in the plate & Csk to suit the screws, make sure the screws are slightly UNDER flush in the plate

Secure the plate to the casting and hey presto you are in business, perhaps a coat of paint!!!!

I realize that the plate is not exactly a prime engineering example but it was the only suitable material I could lay my hands on but it does the job and I wanted the saw running ASAP

Regards
Keith

Just the donke'y whotsits mate, well done on the repair. Just shows what a little determination (and resistance to paying for commercial high price spares) can achieve.

David

Latest posts

Back