Box making wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaWoodster

Established Member
Reaction score
The wife has asked me to knock together some boxes for her small business as gift baskets.
I have made a prototype from some nasty strip wood from the local dyi place, but am now struggling to source decent materials.

Ideally I would like PAR 100x10mm black walnut as I have no finishing machines.
Failing that, a wood (of the right size) which will easily take a dark stain to get close to walnut, any suggestions?

I only need 20 metres, so I think a custom order would be expensive.
Are there any go to suppliers for finished box making wood?

I guess Surrey Timbers would machine you up 20 metres of 100 x 10mm ABW and post it off to you. If you can't get something local give Kevin at Surrey Timbers a call.

Another option is Timberline, they have a dedicated catalogue of thinner timbers for box makers and they'll courier stuff around the country. Give them a call and ask for Bob, he seems to compete with Kevin at Surrey Timbers to be the most helpful timber yard guy in the country!

http://www.exotichardwoods.co.uk/2015/W ... xmaker.asp

Good luck!

I've used Timbercut4u.co.uk for PAR ash in the past and have been happy with them. I have bought sawn timber from Surreytimbers and agree that Kevin is very helpful so also worth a try.

DaWoodster":37zffi4s said:
The wife has asked me to knock together some boxes for her small business as gift baskets.
I have made a prototype from some nasty strip wood from the local dyi place, but am now struggling to source decent materials.

Ideally I would like PAR 100x10mm black walnut as I have no finishing machines.
Failing that, a wood (of the right size) which will easily take a dark stain to get close to walnut, any suggestions?

I only need 20 metres, so I think a custom order would be expensive.
Are there any go to suppliers for finished box making wood?

Do you ever find yourself over near Leeds?

Quite impressed with Surrey Timbers

RoRgtv2.jpg

UdoqAUm.jpg

YorkshireMartin":3ugqtgrx said:
Do you ever find yourself over near Leeds?

Do you know somewhere good for this kind of stuff near Leeds, Martin? I'm working with offcuts at the moment and once they're gone I'll be itching to find somewhere to buy local!

I'd also like to know the location of a decent wood yard in the North West.
Would love to browse the stock for inspiration, if they stocked bowl blanks too it would be a bonus.
All the local places only stock wobbly planks of softwoods :(

Latest posts

Back