Beginner projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonF

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently took the plunge and bought a small Axminster lathe having had a lesson about a year ago. I've spent quite a bit of time already filling my shed with shavings reducing pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood and have a few questions. No, let's be honest, a lot of questions ;)

First, does anyone have any suggestions for good beginner projects? So far I've made 'Harry Potter' (TM) wands for every friend of my children who expresses even a slight a flicker of interest, a couple of goblets with random design (due to a few catches... ok a lot of catches) and a small bowl from a lump of left over firewood.

Second, some tips on sourcing wood would be helpful. I've raided the woodpile, used some old curtain poles and just ordered 20 wood blanks from ebay. Note: I can't fit a bandsaw in my shed :(

Third, how do you stop spending money on wood turning 'essentials'?

Thanks,

JonF.

Hi

Firstly welcome to the forum.
I'm gonna answer the obvious first..... there is no way to stop spending on the essentials!!! there's always something that you really really need... well, want!!

As for the wood sourcing, I'm lucky enough to have a wood turning supply place near me called Peter Childs.
It's definitely worth googling your nearest place and if it's doable and not hours away... take a drive there to actually pick your wood... you can choose all the interesting looking ones then!!!
If you post where abouts you're from someone is bound to recommend somewhere for you.

Thanks for the reply, I'm near stratford on avon.

Jonf

I to am a newbie and I'm turning light pulls, mushrooms, rolling pins, honey dippers and now bowls with my latest tool purchase.

For wood I e-mailed all my local tree surgeons with a begging letter with promise of making them something and got more wood than I could store. It's all green but turning green wood is fun to and I have stored quite a bit.

Hope that helps

There is a tendency for beginners to go straight onto bowls and faceplate work but I would recommend that you go for spindle work and learn to use the tools. So many things that can be made between centres practicing different tools and techniques. At our club the first lesson from the pros is always a scrap piece of wood just doing coves and beads and learning to use different tools. If you can get alongside a more experience turner or afford lessons that would be the ideal.

Pete

agree just about everything posted so far

would add the following possible projects for practice -

pens; kits are cheap, just about any wood scraps will be large enough and it's excellent practice for your finishing cuts (accurate shapes, true lines and avoiding tool marks) and sanding/finishing.
candlesticks; good for embellishments, playing with finishes inc. stains and associated finishing techniques
single stem vases; bring together both of the above
fruit; move into off centre turning techniques and more finishing.........
then there is always eggcups... :(

as to accessories - if it's a hobby then buying accessories is a fundamental part of a hobby! I've just decided I can't possibly continue without a steb-centre :)

I like Phil Irons` " Two in One Woodturning" book which has lots of projects, graded in difficulty, suitable for absolute beginners on upwards. It`s very well produced, if a little quirky. It also has the advantage of being (one of the few) easily available from places such as WH Smith.
As for resisting buying those `must have` accessories, you need to refrain from reading woodturning magazines, talking to other turners, or visiting woodturning websites and forums - but where`s the fun in that? :)

Ian

Silverbirch":1mmn6zh3 said:
I like Phil Irons` " Two in One Woodturning" book which has lots of projects, graded in difficulty, suitable for absolute beginners on upwards. It`s very well produced, if a little quirky. It also has the advantage of being (one of the few) easily available from places such as WH Smith.
As for resisting buying those `must have` accessories, you need to refrain from reading woodturning magazines, talking to other turners, or visiting woodturning websites and forums - but where`s the fun in that? :)

Ian

I just googled that book, and a certain large internet store (and south american river :idea: ) has a preview available so you can glance thru the pages. I did and just bought one :D (but went to a certain auction site and a got a brand new one for 6.49 inc p+p :D , and they have more!)
cheers silverbirch,

Thanks for the tips all. I've just ordered the book from the certain auction store, good price! We were having some poplar trees brought under control so I've also got a couple of lifetimes worth of poplar wood ready to turn. From the same auction store I've picked up 40 assorted blanks for around £60 from a 'top seller' mostly bowl blanks... sorry Bodrighy, how hard can it be :)

A few new ideas above for me, but not sure how to even start with the one that appeals the most... mushrooms?

JonF.

When you first start turning doing spindle work gives you more scope for learning tool control. Getting a good shape on a bowl isn't as easy as it seems. There are a lot of dog bowls out there made by newbie turners which is fine if that's what you want to make LOL. Seriously Some people make nothing but bowls but doing spindle work you can make things that look good and get used to the tools much quicker so building your confidence.

Just my opinion and no doubt others will disagree.

pete

Page 54 mushrooms it is, just need to wait for the book to arrive.

No worries re. the spindle turning as I'm producing at least one wand per day for my children's friends. I find these very forgiving as there is no real set pattern to follow and things can easily be fixed when the inevitable chunk of wood goes flying off. There is plenty of scope for trying new ideas with shapes, curves and the like, even more with wood stains and colours.

One of my more sensible purchases was a matched pair of ring centres, very forgiving with spindle work and would you believe the promotional pic on the Axminster tools site has them used for turning a mushroom (I had to look there to remember what they were called) :)

JonF.

Guess what, I've just received my first commission :)
Someone saw one of my wands and has asked for me to do another for them, I'm insisting on free, they are insisting on some payment.

Don't think I'll give up the day job just yet though ;)

Screw chucks arrived today and I've a week and a bit off, shed time!!

JonF.

it would be nice to see some of these wands - I'm facinated

I'll take some pics of the next ones I do and post but don't expect much compared with the quality of work posted by others.

JonF.

Back