BBC Tales from the Wild Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingcod

Established Member
Reaction score
So who is watching this nice little series?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ng5lr

Good to watch something that doesn't treat the audience like numpties.
Also raises some interesting questions about what we could do to improve our broadleaf wood management.

I am. As you say a very refreshing change to the normal, whatever that is. Of course there are un-answered questions I would like to ask, but that shows an awakened interest. It is very nice to hear someone speaking of plans for anytime after the next twelve months. A great watch!
xy

Agreed - I have some episodes stacked up on the PVR. I did enjoy the one showing the contrast between the automated and manual methods of timber extraction.

On the commercial plantation, one guy sat in a cab and (very skilfully) controlled a huge powerful machine which gripped the tree, sawed it off at the base, stripped the branches and cut it into logs - all in about half a minute. He'd spend his working day on his own, hearing nothing but engine noise, probably getting a bad back from sitting in the cab all day.

In contrast, felling by hand was difficult but needed people to talk together and work as a team. Controlling the heavy horse was another new skill to learn, but satisfying to do. They would have spent the working day in the woods, noticing things, being part of it.

So one method makes money, the other gives a more satisfying and sustainable quality of life. Can it also produce an income, or must it remain a rich man's hobby? I guess that's the interesting question that the series is exploring.

thanks Selwyn, i was hoping to rewatch this and couldn't find it on iPlayer.

Back