Archer miter plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djgaloot

Reaction score
I have a small miter plane that is marked Archer. Anyone have any references related to this tool maker?
oldtools2.jpg

There's a William H Archer Planemaker and Toolmaker listed in British Planemakers.
11 Goodge Street, London 1842
45 Goodge Street, London 1852 - 63

Don't know if it's your man though?

Rod

Thanks. That is a start. Any indication as to rarity? The plane needs a bit of restoration work. The rear infill is loose and the back end has been hit with a hammer too many times. Other than that it is pretty nice.

Wow, nice collection.

I've no idea as to who Mr (or Mrs) Archer may have been, but it looks like they knew a thing or two about making planes - lovely.

Is the smoother a Spiers, looks in fine condition, and the iron is nice and thick. Will it be an user or a keeper, or both?

Can we have another pic of the marking gauge, it looks very interesting.

Cheers

Aled

The smoothing plane is by Spiers and I think the iron is original. I believe it is about mid 1800's also. It has pinned sides, not screwed so it is not the earliest. However, the more styled knob is an earlier feature. The marking gauge is a Winslow's adjustable face with a PAT Oct 23 '00. It has two pins, one you can remove, so it is either a marking or mortise gauge. The fence is adjustable for outside or inside radii or can be made straight. Overall it is a pretty cool little gauge. The picture is cropped from a larger image so it is a little fuzzy. Note, also, the mouth joint on the mitre plane in the background
oldtools3.jpg

I have just purchased privately a dovetailed steel panel plane stamped Archer Goodge Street
Obviously quite early with a wedge behind the brass bar
Lovely plane with rosewood infills and very distinctive front bun and handle that do not copy other manufacturers like Spiers, Mathieson
Will upload a picture if the forum would like to see
Archer had a limited production period in the mid nineteenth century and, although many wooden planes exist metal planes seem quite rare

Yes please Chris - you should be able to post a picture after your next post.

(and use smilies ... (hammer) )

As promised here are two photographs of my latest acquisition - a rare mid nineteenth century panel plane by ARCHER of Goodge St. LONDON
In wonderful condition it, surprisingly, came from a bricklayer who thought it was for levelling floorboards because it is so heavy. Fortunately he didn't test his theory.
Seems to have adopted his own style of handle, wedge and front infill
Hope you like it as much as I do
Chris :p

Attachments

• Archer Goodge St.JPG
    Archer Goodge St.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,232
  • Archer4.JPG
    Archer4.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,232
Who stole the saw from the photo?
Hope you can see through my little joke
Chris :lol:

Attachments

• Archer5.JPG
    Archer5.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,214
Nearly managed to recreate the earlier composite photograph showing the Archer mitre plane
My picture shows :
A Winslow patent gauge
An eighteenth century moulding plane by Loveage
A Spiers smoothing plane
A Spiers mitre plane
Just wish I could have found a brass backed tenon saw to complete the picture
Chris :roll:

penwithchris":21blmlhf said:
As promised here are two photographs of my latest acquisition - a rare mid nineteenth century panel plane by ARCHER of Goodge St. LONDON
In wonderful condition it, surprisingly, came from a bricklayer who thought it was for levelling floorboards because it is so heavy. Fortunately he didn't test his theory.
Seems to have adopted his own style of handle, wedge and front infill
Hope you like it as much as I do
Chris :p

Hi Chris That's a cracking looking plane. I suspect that it's actually a first pattern Spiers panel plane. A lot of the mid 19th century London plane makers seem to have used Spiers as a supplier, and then added there own name to the bridge or lever cap. I have seen a number of similar planes to this marked up by other London dealers, IE George Buck, and Moseley.

Hello Richard - nice to hear from you
I would agree with you that the plane resembles early Spiers panel planes, but I think the handle sets it apart. I haven't seen Spiers planes with a similar handle to the one that this one sports.
It really doesn't seem appropriate to such a heavy plane.
Does it change your view?
Chris

Attachments

• MVC-132F.JPG
    MVC-132F.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,116
penwithchris":3m9e8dx7 said:
Hello Richard - nice to hear from you
I would agree with you that the plane resembles early Spiers panel planes, but I think the handle sets it apart. I haven't seen Spiers planes with a similar handle to the one that this one sports.
It really doesn't seem appropriate to such a heavy plane.
Does it change your view?
Chris
Hi Chris. This is in fact a classic early Spiers pattern open handle. This pattern of panel plane has been dubbed the number one pattern or camels hump pattern. Some examples have an enclosed handle, but the vast majority of the examples I have seen to date have the open handle. A quick search on the net picked up this one http://www.thebestthings.com/oldtools/g ... 00555b.jpg.
Cheers Richard

Great to have such a knowledgeable member on board. I will enjoy the plane even more now that it has been recognised as an early Spiers. The dovetailing and attention to detail to the screwed sides is superb.
Thanks very much for your help.
Chris

Back