Anyone good at identifying braces?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisCA

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought this online yesterday for 8 euros, no idea what brand it is, just took a chance because it looked good and was cheap and I figured I could use a brace even if I got a drill press.

wSrS37l.png

When it gets here I should be able to find a label somewhere on it, until then perhaps someone wants to play detective?

Hi Dennis
Ha, it seems as though you bought that brace through one of the Finnish auction sites. The brace is a German made Flott bit brace. The Flott braces are generally very good value for money. This model with a button operated ratchet is uncommon. If you inspect the sides of the sweep you should find a stamp with the words "FLOTT D.R.P". D.R.P stands for Deutsches Reichspatent and in this case it relates to the button selector mechanism whích changes the direction of the ratchet.

I own one similar brace. They are not identical but the ratchet mechanism is the same: https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnberg6 ... 4978295457

Yeah I found it via google image search actually, on tori.fi, thanks for helping to ID it.

I thought this was going to be a "which celeb is wearing these braces" ie bright red Bobby Cannon, ones with Hammers on Tommy Walsh!

I'm afraid none of those names ring a bell to me, but I haven't had a TV since 2006.

finnberg":zoa2uurp said:
Hi Dennis
Ha, it seems as though you bought that brace through one of the Finnish auction sites. The brace is a German made Flott bit brace. The Flott braces are generally very good value for money. This model with a button operated ratchet is uncommon. If you inspect the sides of the sweep you should find a stamp with the words "FLOTT D.R.P". D.R.P stands for Deutsches Reichspatent and in this case it relates to the button selector mechanism whích changes the direction of the ratchet.

I own one similar brace. They are not identical but the ratchet mechanism is the same: https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnberg6 ... 4978295457

I got the brace today and it's in very fine shape, I think this will be excellent for ratcheting as well. Very pleased so far. I looked at the markings and all it says is ‚‚FLOTT‛‛ and on the other side of the handle there's an small picture of a brace, there is no D.R.P. mentioned.

14273976360_8728f96775_c.jpg

14273985928_e11e4d19ac_c.jpg

14274140497_45ce43dfd3_c.jpg

14457238761_1cb1da7a2a_c.jpg

Ahh... :!:

I've got a Flott

Fl5HL.jpg

Fl7ML.jpg

Mine's not as upmarket as yours (open rachet, etc.). It has rust pitting and a split wooden "wrist" handle. I have picked up too many old braces and this doesn't have a future with me. If you want it, or want the chuck for parts, PM me.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• Fl5HL.jpg
    Fl5HL.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 3,956
  • Fl7ML.jpg
    Fl7ML.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 3,956
Kaufmann and Boker 001.png
Hi all, I was enticed back here by my friend Vann. I thought I also had a Flott but on checking my small group of German braces no Flott, but two others with the push button ratchet selector.
In the photo the upper one is a four jaw from Henry Boker and the lower one a two jaw by Kaufmann of Solingen.
Although this is the only Kaufmann tool I have seen Boker tools are very common here in Australia especially their auger bits and gimlet bits.
I believe Henry's brother Hermann Boker opened a hardware outlet in New York in about 1837.
I have a lot of North American and British braces but these are the only ones with the push button selector that I have seen.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• Kaufmann and Boker 001.png
    Kaufmann and Boker 001.png
    207.8 KB · Views: 3,889
Thanks for the offer Vann but I'm just gonna need this one brace, not out to start a collection.

Hello,
I was recently given this brace with the only marks on it a small GERMANY on one side of the frame
German FLOTT maybe 003.png
and the little brace logo on the other side
German FLOTT maybe 004.png
German FLOTT maybe 001.png
German FLOTT maybe 002.png
The large chuck is the same as one studied by George Langford at http://www.georgesbasement.com/braces/M ... ace185.htm which in his case is branded Giant Grip. Apart from the chuck Georges example looks very similar to the one originally posted by DennisCA.
I recently saw a brace by Henry Boker of Germany which also has the little brace logo.
Cheers,
Geoff.

Attachments

• German FLOTT maybe 001.png
    German FLOTT maybe 001.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 3,359
  • German FLOTT maybe 002.png
    German FLOTT maybe 002.png
    157.3 KB · Views: 3,359
  • German FLOTT maybe 003.png
    German FLOTT maybe 003.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 3,358
  • German FLOTT maybe 004.png
    German FLOTT maybe 004.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 3,358
Not only high torque Dennis but also precision. Friends who rebuild old cars swear by the brace and screwdriver bit for all the screws in the wooden frames.

Back