Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By TFrench
Just4Fun meant take a hacksaw and cut it to length in the car park of BSS... It's 1/2" pipe, its not going to take long to cut.
5 seconds googling for pipefitters:
https://www.centralplumbers.co.uk/contact/
Alternatively, ask the guys behind the counter in BSS for a contact?
By Inspector
On this side of the pond the plumbing and heating contractors cut and thread the pipes for natural gas feed appliances. They have the big powered threading machines so they can cut and fit the installation as needed. The black iron pipe is only used for gas supply or compressed air. Are your plumbers separate from the gas fitters or all in one like here?

The big home building centers have pipe, usually threaded both ends, in various lengths. A more expensive way to go. If you have similar they may have some.

I would go back to the place with the 21’ pipe but buy a pipe cutter first instead of a hacksaw. Much easier and cuts a clean square end. We have stores selling everything under the sun made in Asia and they sell pipe threading kits and the pipe cutters. They will stand up for your needs. Here is an example of what to look for. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8549024e

Pete
By Lonsdale73
TFrench wrote:Just4Fun meant take a hacksaw and cut it to length in the car park of BSS... It's 1/2" pipe, its not going to take long to cut.
5 seconds googling for pipefitters:
https://www.centralplumbers.co.uk/contact/
Alternatively, ask the guys behind the counter in BSS for a contact?

Yes, I understood what Just4Fun was saying. It wouldn't be the first time I've taken a saw to cut down timber to a suitable length and the possibility of doing the same with the pipe had crossed my mind. However, not only does the local BSS lack a recognisable car park, with pipe threaded one end only the other fifteen feet or more would be useless unless I then shell out for suitable threading kit which I've been advised is expensive; that seems a bit OTT to make a few 'cheap' pipe clamps.

I did have the foresight to ask if BSS knows of any tradesmen who regularly buy such pipe who could maybe knock out a few lengths for me and I hope to speak to one of them come Monday.
By Lonsdale73
Inspector wrote:On this side of the pond the plumbing and heating contractors cut and thread the pipes for natural gas feed appliances. They have the big powered threading machines so they can cut and fit the installation as needed. The black iron pipe is only used for gas supply or compressed air. Are your plumbers separate from the gas fitters or all in one like here?

The big home building centers have pipe, usually threaded both ends, in various lengths. A more expensive way to go. If you have similar they may have some.

I would go back to the place with the 21’ pipe but buy a pipe cutter first instead of a hacksaw. Much easier and cuts a clean square end. We have stores selling everything under the sun made in Asia and they sell pipe threading kits and the pipe cutters. They will stand up for your needs. Here is an example of what to look for. https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8549024e

Pete

I spend far too much time watching youtube videos with some envy over the kit available to woodworkers on the far side of the Atlantic. Not just the big machinery, even some of the small accessories. As an example, I saw a tool cabinet build featuring Rockler tandem hinges which looked an absoluttely brilliant idea - if only we could get hold of the hinges over here! Your 'big box' stores sell much better timer than ours do; here we have a choice of pine or nothing.
By Inspector
The Borg stores only sell construction lumber and it is for the most part garbage.

If you don’t have the pipe threaders in any stores then try on line. If none on fleabay or amplezon then directly from China with AliExpress or Alibaba. Takes a while to arrive but is the same stuff the stores sell.

Pete
By Lonsdale73
triker64 wrote:the metalstore have steel pipe but they are in cleckheaton Yorkshire.

Thanks for that. Not been up that way for some time.

I accosted a young plumber in a garage forecourt the other day - poor kid looked petrified. His tip though was to contact the plumbing faculty of the local college. He says they have the gear to do the threading and it sounds like they offer it as a service to plumbers who now use it so rarely they don't bother owning the kit for it.
By marcros
Couple of ifs, but...

If you can decide what lengths you need and if getting it to Welbourn helps you out, the shop that I linked to on eBay isn't that far from work. I am coming down on Friday evening to my parents and could leave it there for you. I could do with some myself actually.

Size limit (length) is what will fit in my car.
By Lonsdale73
marcros wrote:Couple of ifs, but...

If you can decide what lengths you need and if getting it to Welbourn helps you out, the shop that I linked to on eBay isn't that far from work. I am coming down on Friday evening to my parents and could leave it there for you. I could do with some myself actually.

Size limit (length) is what will fit in my car.

That would be most useful, thanks. Could you manage 2 x 950mm lengths as a test? I shall be passing through Welbourne on Saturday, once very early morning and again later in the day. As I recall, your parents are practically last house in the village.
By marcros
That shouldn't be an issue. Do you want it threading both ends or just one? I will check tomorrow with the shop and see how long they need to sort it.
By Lonsdale73
marcros wrote:That shouldn't be an issue. Do you want it threading both ends or just one? I will check tomorrow with the shop and see how long they need to sort it.

Both if possible please
By Lonsdale73
Cheers Marcros

IMG_0365.JPG
By marcros
good stuff. I got mine cut in half, for some 450mm clamps.

1st job that I have needing it, and it would have been useful at 950mm!