Advice for my dad

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
My dad has taken up turning recently, and has bought an axminster lathe and chuck set and perform chisels.

He has a regular grinder (200mm wheels), and wanted to know which ones should he get for sharpening? Does he anything else for honing after using the grinder?

Secondly, he wants to get a bandsaw, what is a common size turners use? He'll be turning mostly spindles, but also goblets and some bowls, can he get away with a 12" bandsaw, or should he aim for something larger?

Which brings me to the next point, are there anyone selling a bandsaw for around £150-£200 that would be suitable?

TIA

ByronBlack":xec3ss8d said:
He has a regular grinder (200mm wheels), and wanted to know which ones should he get for sharpening? Does he anything else for honing after using the grinder?

A standard White Oxide is all that is needed, if you want something a little more exotic go for a Blue Ceramic or Pink, they cut a little more aggressively and don't generate as much heat.

Here's a Standard White and a Blue wheel (from Peter Childs) fitted in 2005 and still going strong at the recentBrummie bash

Most turning tools do not need honing, I certainly would not suggest it for someone new to turning as it is easy to mess the bevel up unless you know exactly what is needed.

Sure Gouges can benefit greatly from polishing the flutes and Skew Chisels from polishing/honing the Bevels but the benefits are IMO 12 months at least down the line for a new starter.

surely this is a great oppurtunity for you to share a Tormek ?? :D

CHJ - thanks for the advice, I believe he was looking at a white wheel, the 60g one from axminster, is that kind you mean?

Wizer - With my recent splurge, unfortunately I have no more cash for tools, I still need to find some cash for some diamond stones to replace my water-stones that I sold about 6 months ago.. I've never really liked the idea of the tormek, it just seems so overpriced, but then I can't say I know too much about these types of grinders, maybe I'll try one in the future at a show or summit ;)

Byron 60-80 grit is OK, the finer the better for finish but more care needed in using to avoid heat.

Check his grinder spindle length and wheel guard clearance, try and get as wide a wheel as possible that will fit. They come with reduced central thickness.

If all else fails I would go for a cheap axminster white wheel grinder or equivalent with the option to change the other wheel at a later date for something a bit more exotic.

The wider wheels make for easier use with grinding jigs.

Tell him not to quench HSS tools to cool, if they get too hot to touch lighten the pressure/dress the stone for free cutting.
HSS will stand high temps and even blueing is not a total disaster but quenching may produce micro cracks that cause early edge failure.

Latest posts

Back