A couple of recent turnings !

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasmansteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
After watching Mark Sangers dvd thought I`d have a go, tried for 1/3rd proportions like Mark not sure if I`m there yet but fun trying.

4547426453_13b0ac30da.jpg

Tulipwood 240mm diameter, the finial/handle caught my eye in the shop,its a drawer handle thought i`d see how it looks yes/no??

4547426215_08c1613da6.jpg

Elm (I think ) tried to do a fancy finial like one of Marks with a ring from a pen kit on Walnut lid.

Cheers
Steve

Both very nice pieces Steve :D
Not so keen on the first handle,just doesn't fit with the form i think.
Might have been worth trying some ebonising lacquer on the form itself to bring the handle in a bit more.
Love the form on the second one,not sure it is Elm,but who am i to know :roll:
Think the finial is a little too chunky on this one but a great effort on both pieces Steve :D

There's me thinking 'wow' on the first finial then I read the text :lol: Both look good to me. I have had a couple of goes at different Sanger type creations after he did a demo at our club but like you have a way to got before reaching his standard. You look well on the way though

Pete

Thanks lads. Got me thinking about that first one Paul I think the handle/lid is a bit too high from the bowl think I`ll give it a tweak tomorow.
Cheers
Steve

Like both the turnings, shape/form is a personal thing but nothing in those grates with me, on the finials, the top form could do with something somewhat lower, wider more complimentary to the form I think. (Example)
The Lower finial seems out of proportion to me, could do with being 2/3rds the size to my eyes.

Great efforts though on both items finish looks excellent.

Hi Chas
I agree the first one needs the handle a little nearer to the bowl and the second one the finial should I think be half the height of the form and I`ve got it a little longer than that also I think the Walnut lid needs to be a little thinner.
Regards
Steve

Well done steve :D That looks to be one hell of a glossy finish on the first piece 8) I was really impressed with the carved finial on the first,then I read it was a handle :lol: but why not,good cheat :lol: I think the only real problem with the lid/finial not looking right is the tall concave sided lid which is at odds to the rest of the shape of the form. If the lid was a low flatish curved shape to match the top of the form I think the looks would be enhanced greatly.
The second piece is a nice little form but the finial is a little large and overpowering for it.
Keep it up 8)

JT

Handle/finial 2nd attempt :wink:

4552227882_ed0f289950.jpg

I think this lid/handle looks better , decided to ebonise the lid as it was quite bland what says you experts please :wink: . Only got four more handles left :lol:
Regards
Steve

Hi Steve

thanks for the link to this from your other thread. I had not picked up on it.

I am very pleased that you purchased my DVD and also decided to make some pieces from the instruction. I am glad it has inspired you and helped you.

I am impressed by the two pieces you have made and thank you for the compliment. :oops: :oops:

Back