Xcalibur 12" table saw - it's here!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Noel - very useful. Looks like I do have the bits for ceiling mounting, which may be a better option in my case.

Cheers

Karl

Karl,

The solution to the knife problem is to make a decent one from gauge plate.

The one supplied seems to be made from high tensile liquorice to me.

If you want to know about sources for gauge plate (aka Ground Flat Stock) then drop me a PM.

Bob

Karl, In the meantime, I assume the riving knife hasn't got an actual "bend" as in a crease? I'm guessing what happened is someone gave the guard a clout with a hefty lump of wood. As you are going to change it anyway, get a large adjustable spanner and adjust the flats to fit the riving knife. You are going to use it as a tensioning lever. Simply twist the knife in the direction you want to straighten it. You'll need to twist it past the point of where you want it, so some experimentation is required. If you take it steady you'll get there and if you do over egg it you can twist it back. Once it's in alignment you may have to vertically adjust it too using the same method, sounds crude but remember they tension saw blades with a hammer :D
Alan.

Woody - i'm going to take the knife off again tonight and try to straighten it out.

Bob - i'll do some digging around and PM you if i'm unsuccesful in my search.

It looks like the Axminster guard isn't going to be suitable after all :cry: I could mount it from the ceiling, but as the t/s doesn't always sit in one position, it won't really work for my set-up. Looks like Trim got lucky!

Now, do others use the 4" dx port at the bottom of the machine? It doesn't really seem to work that well - there is a big cavity between the port and the blade, and I don't think that any extractor would generate enought "suck" to gather dust effectively from that distance (for non Xcalibur owners, the d/x port is at the very bootom of the machine, next to the floor).

I get the feeling that if a blade guard were manufactured with a dust port over the blade (a SUVA style similair to that made by SM), then DX would be greatly improved, and I don't see that you'd need the DX at the bottom of the machine. It'd also solve the problem of the poor guarding on the saw.

Opinions?

Cheers

Karl

Karl. I think I'd do it (read did do it) in situ, you can see what you're aiming for and it's as well anchored in it's place as anywhere.

Alan

Karl":eorynr07 said:
Woody - i'm going to take the knife off again tonight and try to straighten it out.

Bob - i'll do some digging around and PM you if i'm unsuccesful in my search.

It looks like the Axminster guard isn't going to be suitable after all :cry: I could mount it from the ceiling, but as the t/s doesn't always sit in one position, it won't really work for my set-up. Looks like Trim got lucky!

Now, do others use the 4" dx port at the bottom of the machine? It doesn't really seem to work that well - there is a big cavity between the port and the blade, and I don't think that any extractor would generate enought "suck" to gather dust effectively from that distance (for non Xcalibur owners, the d/x port is at the very bootom of the machine, next to the floor).

I get the feeling that if a blade guard were manufactured with a dust port over the blade (a SUVA style similair to that made by SM), then DX would be greatly improved, and I don't see that you'd need the DX at the bottom of the machine. It'd also solve the problem of the poor guarding on the saw.

Opinions?

Cheers

Karl

I don't have any real problems with DX on my xcalibur. The shop has a 110mm ducted DX running off a 3hp homebrew cyclone. 14" blower 6" inlet/outlet running at 2850 rpm. No idea on the suction parameters achieved.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n313 ... i_0217.flv

There is always a bit of dust left in the bottom but I don't always turn the DX on for small jobs either. I tend to find if the suction is on then dust does not hit the bottom before being sucked out. I brush out the corners when I change blades.
I keep meaning to devise some arrangement of bristles to close the quadrant around the blade height adjuster but that is in the too hard pile at the moment.
I don't use any crown guard extraction- more trouble than it is worth.

hth

Bob

hi karl

look up the turn table thread in the jigs forum , i fitted an extension arm to my turn table with a caster underneath it so the extractor turns with the saw, simples . hc :D

Martin - I don't have the room for a turntable base - the saw has to be butted up against a wall in my small 'shop, so no room to turn it. Otherwise i'd definitely have been building one.

Cheers

Karl

Back