Xcalibur 12" table saw - it's here!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a real bargain, Karl - not to mention a squeeze to get it in your 'shop! :wink:

Have you seen the Tablesaw Turntable that MarkW (WellsWood) made in the Jigs forum? It might be of benefit to you. :)

Waka":2nyth3zp said:
Karl

I think it's disgusting that you picked the saw up for £700.00, and even more disgusting that you're posting it :lol: :lol:

I can assure you that you won't be disappointed. I'm not sure whether they modified the crown guard since I got mine, but I think that's a failure on this and other Woodford TS. I eventually went for the gubbins they sell at Axminster which incorporates dust extraction as well. Mind you it's easy to make one yourself.

The Axminster one costs £100+, but as Waka said you can make your own which is exactly like his Lordship did in this link, and an excellent job at that. https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/impr ... ight=table improvements

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=44

Personally the only change I am going to make is a wider crown guard, more like the Axminster one because I think it will help the dust extraction pickup more dust.

056002_inset1_xl.jpg
The Axminster one

1633278322_e96dbfeca2.jpg
Lord Nibbo's

Cheers

Mike

hi karl

I have the axminster dust extractor over head guard fitted to my sip 01332 it work fine with no problems at all see link.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/tabl ... 36167.html

unfortunately it right at the end of that thread .

I do like your saw it's real shame you had to start cutting it down in size , real good price , I bought second hand from axminster as well got a real good bargain there last year when i bought one of there band saw mint condition £400 it was less than half price. hc :wink: :lol:

You guys are genius.

I recalled seeing one of those extraction accessories in the 'shop when I picked up the saw. So a quick phone call to the seller.

"yeah, got one of those"

"are you interested in selling it"

"yeah, £30 and its yours"

"see you in an hour!"

Up and down the M6 and here it is

DSC00167.jpg

:D

Now just to work out how to put it together!

Cheers

Karl

Karl I'm not sure if I like you very much any more... :lol:

Trim - no cuts yet, i'm still trying to get it set up right. The top is shiny cos i've webraxed the scum off the top (not that there was much to start with) and give it a coat of wax.

Waka - I think the DX is the only thing which will let this saw down. As you say though, that can be sorted with the addition of an alternative guard.

Olly - I have seen Marks turntable design. Unfortunately it's no good for my application as the saw has to be butted up against a wall, so no room for spinning.

Martin & Bob - cutting the rails down doesn't really concern me - they're easily replaced when I have more space.

Tom - :p

Jed - they had got rid of the last things today. There wasn't much to start with, it was only a small shop.

I'm not sure that this combined guarding/DX system is going to work for my set-up. I didn't realise that the DX hose attaches on the horizontal pipe - in my set-up that pipe would be butted up against a wall. But i'm going to have a look at it later on and see what I can come up with.

Cheers

Karl

hi karl

don't know if your aware but the dx system can be hung upside down from the ceiling as well by using the stanchion pole in reverse if thats of any help to you , if you do decide to go that way i do have the destruction that came with mine if there of any help to you just pm me and I'll get them scanned for you and e-mailed. hc :D

Martin/Waka - that'd be great.

Martin - i'll PM you my e-mail address.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":2xusjykv said:
I'm not sure that this combined guarding/DX system is going to work for my set-up. I didn't realise that the DX hose attaches on the horizontal pipe - in my set-up that pipe would be butted up against a wall. But i'm going to have a look at it later on and see what I can come up with.

Cheers

Karl
If it doesn't work for you Karl then I might be interested in taking it off your hands. Let me know. :D

Karl

With regards to hanging it off the ceiling I might have the bits of kit that does this, not sure but I'll have a look later. If I do then you'd be welcome to it.

hi karl

don't think those i sent via e mail came out to good so i'll try here as i said if these don't either post me your address and i pop a paper copy in the post . hc

axm2.jpg

axm3.jpg

axn4.jpg

axm1.jpg

hope there ok .

ps just added this if you do go with the overhead idea where the boom meets the stanchion pole (tee section) add some extra large self tapper , theres a lot of weight in the boom and you don't want that dropping off.

Martin - thanks for that.

Waka - I think I may have the ceiling bits in with what I picked up last night. I'm going to investigate tonight.

Anyway, onto more pressing matters.

I have an issue with the riving knife on the saw. Basically, there is very little adjustment available, and the instruction manual is neither use nor ornament as it relates to an older model with a differing knife/guard system.

These first two pics show the blade at full height and then with the blade wound down until the knife drops below the surface of the table. As you can see, there is still about 15mm blade above the table, so if you were to use the blade at this height then there would be no riving knife protection.

DSC00178.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

Here's a couple of pics of the knife and the mounting block

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

To top it all the knife is bent - you may be able to see in this last shot that it is out of alignment with the top of the blade.

DSC00174.jpg

So, what to do - any suggestions?

Cheers

Karl

Well that riving knife would be rubbish even if it were not bent. That open slot will not prevent the crown guard from being ejected if I large chunk of wood hit it hard enough,

I love my Excalibur but the guarding is not its best feature. I junked mine, made a new riving knife out of mild steel, which is OK but not excellent. I've just taken delivery of some gauge plate (Thanks, Bob!) to make another, and I have a couple of different kinds of guard (you've seen them, I think) which is a much better solution than what comes as standard.

Remember that this otherwise excellent saw is not CE rated (at least, mine isn't - maybe things have changed), so you have to live with its deficiencies. It's built like a tank though, so it's worth spending some time and effort dealing with its few shortcomings.

HTH
Steve

Steve - looks like i'll be making a new riving knife then!

Made a ripping fence today based (very loosely) on what i've seen of yours, see below

DSC00170.jpg

UTTJ either tomorrow or Thursday!

Cheers

Karl

Back