Work Sharp The Wood Tool Sharpener WS3000 model

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Krysstel,
Rutlands are asking £199 now for it, not £280. So your question is, does an inverter cost more than £59. If not, then buy USA. If it does (or you don't want 2 sets of cables to clear up), buy UK.

Its a bit of a long shot but have you tried contacting Worksharp themselves (Professional Tool Mfg company).

If you explain the situation that Rutlands are the only outlet that have the 240v version but they refuse to supply it to Norway so could they supply a 240v Worksharp direct to you in Norway?

There is a contact us page here http://www.worksharptools.com/contact.asp on the Worksharp website.

Good luck - Martin.

Krysstel":fy9rda73 said:
..............It seems to me that the Rockler deal with inverter from Clas O is the solution. Or ?

Or I could buy you one and send it on, means two postage charges though. (Or just buy it and put you as the delivery address, see what happens :wink: )

Or, I've just 'phoned Rutlands. If you ethermail them ([email protected]) they'll get clearance from management and post it direct to you in Norway. I said I could pay for it if you didn't have an acceptable card.

(You will pay me back, won't you? :-k

laird":2v0ub8in said:
Or I could buy you one and send it on, means two postage charges though. (Or just buy it and put you as the delivery address, see what happens :wink: )
Or, I've just 'phoned Rutlands. If you ethermail them ([email protected]) they'll get clearance from management and post it direct to you in Norway. I said I could pay for it if you didn't have an acceptable card.
(You will pay me back, won't you? :-k

Sorry for the late reply to your very kind offer. :oops:
I've just e-mailed Rutlands to try to get them to export a WS3000 directly to me. Payment shouldn't be a problem - I have suitable cards.

No probs. The guy I spoke to in Sales didn't seem to think there would be any problem exporting goods to Norway (they apparently have done so in the past). Suspect the p&p may rise tho' :roll:
I've now got cold chisels suitable for rough timber cutting.
Enjoy.

We'll see what Rutlands come back with.
I'll be in the UK sometime in August and at a push could hand carry one back with me.
You don't know approx how much they weigh and the approx size of the box ?

Sorry I've forgotten the box size. But the tool weighs 4Kg and measures 250mm(L) X 180mm(W) X 200mm (H). The various tables, discs etc. stack at 150mm round X 50mm and weigh a futher 1 Kg.
So well within hand luggage limits.

The deed is done and a WS3000 is on it's way to Norway. Should be here in a week :D
Rutlands have a standard £25 shipping box which can take up to 30kg. To fill up the box I added 2 bottles of titebond and one of their 9" vices which are currently on sale with £25 off. If I try hard I can probably convince myself that the shipping was actually free :!: :lol:
Did you find you needed extra glass wheels and/or abrasive discs ? I didn't order any but thought I'd wait and see and if necessary pick them up in the UK when I'm there in August.

Mark

I've found two glass wheels are fine, gives you 4 different grades which take you from P120 to P4000. I've just got some 150mm discs from Machine Mart in the coarser sizes (£19 for 50) plus some more cleaning rubbers, although I still have a full set of unused discs from the origonal order. If you use the "see through" disc a lot I'd probably buy another 1 or 2 rather than change the sticky disc everytime you change disc type.
Enjoy.

Well, I thought the deed was done. Now Rutlands are being funny about both the shipping costs and the VAT. They now say they need to use 2 boxes to send both the vise and the WS3000 meaning twice the shipping costs and they won't deduct the VAT even though Norway is outside the EU. I suspect such a practice is actually illegal but I'm not in a postion to do anything about it, or can be bothered !
I'm still waiting for a final reply to my last carefully worded e-mail but the deal may be off ! :(
I'll probably just order the vise since the sale reduction covers the shipping but the WS3000 will have to wait until I'm in the UK and can hand carry it back.
In short, I'm not happy with Rutlands and would really like to shop elsewhere if someone knows of another retailer for the WS3000 in the UK ? As far as I've been able to find out, Rutlands are the only one so I may not have a choice. I really want a WS3000 so this is very frustrating :evil:

Rutlands finally decided they would deduct the VAT so the Worksharp and vise are now ordered. :D

laird":2djr1fho said:
So you now get it about a tenner less than me :roll:

Probably not since I have to pay Norwegian VAT at 25% :shock: on the purchase price plus postage costs, and then a £15 handling fee, ie; (£174 + £25) x 1.25 = £250 + £15 = £265.
Hope that makes you feel better :)

I felt a little update was in order.
Yes the Worksharp was ordered on 2nd June.
No, as of today it hasn't arrived :evil:
I've lost count of the number of e-mails I've now had backwards and forwards with Rutlands. The last report was that the package was somewhere in Denmark :shock: possibly due to wrong addressing at Rutlands end.
Very disappointing considering Rutlands new flashly pop-up adverts on their website regarding export orders and their claims of 5 day delivery.
This is the first order I've ever placed with Rutlands and will probably be my last !
Apart from the Worksharp I can't really see anything in their catalogue that others don't have under another make and I've never had any problem ordering from Axminster, MTMC or Wealden nor from companies in the US.
Is this typical Rutlands or are they just hopeless with exports ?

Actually I had a problem on 2 occasions where Rutlands sent a parcel to my old address, despite me entering the correct new address in their checkout system. They rectified it, but it's always a PITA when this sort of things happen.

I think Rutlands have courier problems. I've just received a box that started off on palletways, then to Highland couriers, then Lewis Express, Then Oban Express, then Rothesay Courier, then finally - ten days later - Cumbrae Couriers. The four in the middle simply took it for a 1600 mile drive and 8 ferry crossings before bringing back to Glasgow. Correctly addressed.

Doesn't sound very promising !
At time of writing I still havn't received the shipment, nor do I know where it is, and I havn't received any word back from Rutlands for 2 days.
I expect it'll sort itself in the end but there's no doubt in my mind; this is the first and last time I shop at Rutands.
Pity since they've now offer streamlined export ordering on their website but if it doesn't work then there's no point !
At Axminster it's just click, pay, and wait a week for the parcel to arrive at the local post office. Same with MTMC, Wealden, Rockler and Eagleamerica.
If Rutlands really want to compete with export orders then they really need to sort themselves out IMO.

Back