Work Holding Woes - Updated with pics of finished box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekno.mage

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of making a decent box for my now nicely fettled Stanley No 5 plane - and it is the first "flat woodworking" project I've made (not counting odd DIY & garden jobs when the item was either to be painted, hidden away or left "rough"). It's also the first thing I've ever tried to make without using screws (ie just using glue!) to hold every thing together!

So, I thought, as it's a plane, perhaps I shuld try and make something a bit decent for it, and finish it nicely too. This would be very easy if I could make it on the lathe, but a round plane box isn't going to work...

So, I find the 6 lengths of 3' x 5" x 3/4" beech that used to be shelving in a previous house. (The timber merchant sold it to me as beech 20 years ago - but I know a lot more about timber now - and it looks nothing like any of the beech I've used in woodturning! Maybe it's a foreign version of some kind...)

I came up with very simple box design to fit the no 5 plane. The base must be infitting so the plane will fit the box. The joints will have to be glued butt joints, as I lack the appropriate tools at the moment to do anything better (and I'm not brave enough).

So far, so good. I cut the "beech" to size using the machine I have available - a Kity 613 bandsaw with a fairly horrible fence - but that stage went ok as I know the foibles of the bandsaw. I had measured and marked out the wood accurately (and noticed the obligatory mistake before cutting!) Then I taped the planks together in blocks to be the same size so I could cut them all at once <grin> I was reasonably happy with the cuts once done (ie they were at 90 deg to the face, straighter than I expected and needed very little tidying up after wards.)

Dry assembled, the bottom of the box looked ok. Rummaging about in the barn revealed a pair of rather rusty old sash cramps which I pressed into service after giving them a clean and de-rust. I also took the precaution of sticking some thick clean cardboard on the faces of the cramps with double-sided tape so they wouldn't mark the work. I'd already found a pair of F clamps for the other two sides.

Glued everything up with PVA, clamped it, wiped off the nasty oozes of glue and left the whole thing overnight...

This morning came the problems. The box was dry and solid enough. The joints had virtually no gaps (except tiny one on the bottom that won't show) But the clamps had marked the work - even through my carefully placed thick cardboard - actually it was the corrugations in the cardboard that had marked the wood :-( There was also little bit of planing work needed on the end grain at the corners (to be expected) and then some sanding.

Planing that end grain didn't work :-( I tried a small block plane and then the No 5 but I'm finding it really hard to hold the box solidly so I'm able to plane in the right direction and not split the edges of the wood away. I finally give up and resort to a small surform followed by an orbital sander & a skarsten scraper (for the hard glue residue), which surprisingly worked quite well. Nice flat corners and smooth end grain.

But I notice that whatever I use to hold the work is marking the previously finished surfaces <grrrr>. My bench top (despite being a bit of old kitchen work top) is clean, and I'm carefully using a clean spare piece of beech between the box and my rather improvised bench dogs (plastic things from a workmate into holes drilled into the bench top). Even the nice clean router mat I put down on the bench is leaving little indentations in the previously sanded surface of the opposite side. I ended up balancing the box over one hand and slowly, slowly, hand sanding the flat sides in the right direction) with a sanding block held in the other hand. I'm reasonably satisfied with the finish to 400 grit (prior to doing the pyrography of "Stanley No 5" on the ends) and will finally fit the lid tomorrow.

This flat woodworking is much harder than woodturning :-( With woodturning the work is held nice and solidly on the lathe until such time as you choose to remove it.

So, any tips on how to protect a small job while you hold it firmly enough to do the finishing work on the other side of it - and how to solidly hold a 15" long open box so you can easily access the two short ends to plane/sand/whatever without having to stand on tiptoe to reach!

I must be doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. With woodturning it's possible to disguise where a job was held in a chuck, or you simply cut off the part where the work was held. When I reverse a job on the lathe I have rubber faced buttons that hold the work and do not mark it, but I was findings that even my rubber vice jaw facings were leaving little marks on my box ( and no, I don't think I was doing the vice up too tight).

Sorry I didn't take any WIP pics of thsi project, but will post pics of finished box.

tekno.mage

Hi,

Sounds like very soft wood, jellytong? you shouldn't get that problem with Beech. Any chance of a picture of the box.

Pete

I'll do some pics of the box tomorrow (the light's gone now).

The wood is definitely NOT beech - no flecks, wrong colour and it's just not hard enough (although the end grain seemed hard enough when I was trying to work it!).

After looking through various books on wood, I'm thinking it maybe some kind of poplar or aspen (?) It's very pale cream in colour and one piece has some very pale greenish streaks. It could be jellytong (I've never knowingly used any of that).

I'm now hoping my problems with the finished surface marking was more to do with the type of wood than what I was doing with it :)

tekno.mage

Sounds like Poplar, which is very soft. Nevertheless, it should be possible to hold without too much of a problem. It's hard to visualise what you have in the way of clamps but I'm wondering whether the f-clamps could be used to hold a strip of timber at the end of your workbench without fouling the plane/tool path.

Yes, my partner & I were discussing the wood and both came to the conclusion that it was some kind of poplar.

Regarding the the clamping issue - aside from the marks the clamps left on the work, I had no real problems clamping the box while the glue dried - and the joints all turned out reasonably square.

My main problem was in holding the work afterwards for finishing. I do have a strip of timber clamped at one end of my bench as a stop, and some dogs that can hold another strip of timber at right angles to that - which works very well when planing flat boards. I've also got a large Record woodworking vice (on another old bench in another part of the barn) which is great for holding boards on edge to plane them.

My problem with the finishing of the box was that glued up, but without the lid, it is open on one side and somewhat awkward to hold. It was now too big to be held successfully in the woodworking vice, or parts of it fouled the vice.
I was reluctant to hold it by just one side because I didn't want to subject the butt joints to too much stress!

The only way I was able to hold it securely and successfully was if it stood on it's base - which wasn't much use for finishing the base or the end-grain edges on the corners. It also meant I was doing the finishing at 90 degrees to what I find comfortable. Ideally, the face needing work should be uppermost. I now realise it would probably have been easier if I'd used some of the waste wood as a former that fitted inside the box (supporting the open edge) and clamped the former to the bench.

Ah well, I'll know for next time - and the next box I make will avoid having difficult end grain on show (if I can work out hot to make better corner joints without having to buy more tools!)

tekno.mage

Does your timber have any resin-pockets in it?

If so it might well be Jelutong. The pockets are no problem for Rocking-Horse making, but if you wanted to use it for natural finish carving and turning it could be a nuisance.
HTH

John
:)

Finally finished my plane box - made of poplar (sold as beech!) with apple dowels (I decided those butt joints needed strengthening - especially on the lid). It's finished with Chestnut Hardwax Oil (2 coats) and the decoration is pyrography which I then coloured.

This is the first wooden box I've made (that wasn't done on a lathe.) There are parts of it I'm quite pleased about and several parts I'll know not to do like that again. I found the glueing & clamping part the hardest part - possibly due to my lack of suitable clamps!

Anyhow - here are the photos....

planebox4.jpg

planebox2.jpg

planebox1.jpg

planebox3.jpg

I think I may fit some blocks inside to locate the plane properly in the box.

tekno.mage

Very Nice Tek,

That Poplar looks better than the stuff I have. Nice handle on that plane too.. Is it a self-made handle?

And you will have to come clean about the pics on the box. Painted? Stencilled, or what!

(Get swimbo to make you a nice Velvet 'sock' for the plane. Shove some silica gel packs in with it too. )

You must love your plane. 8)

Regards
John

lol bench, she, Tenko, is SWMBO!

Lovely box and a lovely plane youve done up too. Great work!

The handle on the plane is it's original rosewood - only I've stripped off the nasty old chipped & scratched varnish, to show the wood underneath - now just oiled & waxed for protection.

The pictures on the box are done with pyrography - and then coloured using permanent marker pens (Letraset Promarker). I found the Stanley logo on the web and also a line drawing of a No 5 plane (which I simplified). Just printed them out at an appropriate size for the box and transferred them onto the wood using carbon paper and a hard pencil.

I like the idea of a velvet sock... I think I've probably got some offcuts of velvet in the sewing room upstairs...

tekno.mage

Hi, Tekno.Mage

Yery nice!!

How does the lid stay shut? I have used a pare of magnets set into the lid and box on some of my boxes.

Pete

Hi Chems....

:oops:

As for the artwork... Now I have to find a pyrography tool. I could make household-door signs, for craft fairs.. Maybe?

:D

John

Nice box for the plane Tek. As someone else said, a catch on the lid of some sort would be useful. Locating blocks inside the box would also beneficial and I'd include a turnbuckle as well just to hold in in place against the bocks. The pyrography work looks really good as well - Rob

Racers":3rsxl2tz said:
Hi, Tekno.Mage

Yery nice!!

How does the lid stay shut? I have used a pare of magnets set into the lid and box on some of my boxes.

Pete

The extended end pieces of the lid seem to locate it and keep it on quite well without any catches - obviously it will fall off if the box was turned upside down (and my plane would fall out :-( ), but it's quite secure otherwise, even if the box is tilted. As I'm a girlie with small hands, it's a two handed job to lift or carry the box in any case.

tekno.mage

Back