Help identifying small lathe with brass bed and carriage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trextr7monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up this interesting little lathe and can’t get a positive ID as expected it has many features in common with a variety of others but struggling to find exactly what it is

Main points:
Centre height 2”
Max between centres is about 9”
Both the bed and carriage are solid brass which is unusual as most small lathes were budget editions
No serial numbers or makers names anywhere there are some casting numbers inside the rather large feet.
Any ideas very welcome! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9027.jpeg
    IMG_9027.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9022.jpeg
    IMG_9022.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9023.jpeg
    IMG_9023.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9024.jpeg
    IMG_9024.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9020.jpeg
    IMG_9020.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9021.jpeg
    IMG_9021.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
img_9076-jpeg.180401

Some similarities in style but not a Weisser
Here’s the casting numbers. The entire bed is from a solid piece of brass dovetail profile go carriage and tailstock to slide on

Attachments

• IMG_9077.jpeg
    IMG_9077.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9073.jpeg
    IMG_9073.jpeg
  • IMG_9078.jpeg
    IMG_9078.jpeg
I wonder if it was made of some spare parts by a home machinist. Maybe a kit?

Pete
The bed is quite sophisticated for a home machinist. See hollows underneath There’s no lead screw so not a lot of point in machining it all out and it would be an impressive block of brass to start with. I think the paint will have to come off to see if there are any more clues hidden!

The bed is quite sophisticated for a home machinist. See hollows underneath There’s no lead screw so not a lot of point in machining it all out and it would be an impressive block of brass to start with. I think the paint will have to come off to see if there are any more clues hidden!

Brass is a weird choice isn't it but its relatively easy to melt at sensible temperatures? Possibly a diy or down time copy of a steel or iron equivalent which was used as a pattern.

Brass is a weird choice isn't it but its relatively easy to melt at sensible temperatures? Possibly a diy or down time copy of a steel or iron equivalent which was used as a pattern.
It doesn’t look home made the bed is quite a sophisticated shape with a few pockets out of the base and very well finished, it’s a bit of a mystery!

Attachments

• IMG_9074.jpeg
    IMG_9074.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9073.jpeg
    IMG_9073.jpeg
It’s a nice looking little lathe. The chuck though looks very large for such a modest size machine.

It’s a nice looking little lathe. The chuck though looks very large for such a modest size machine.
You’re quite right, a bit out of proportion. I have some Adepts and a Little Goliath that are a little more dainty, if that’s the correct term😂

Headstock and tailstock and the 2 feet are not brass. If casting from patterns / with free brass -it would make sense to make everything from brass?
It’s a strange one!

If you broke the iron bed... And you had all the other bits...
😂 I like the way you are thinking!

If that was the case he broke the carriage as well and under those circumstances should have given up while he still had eyes and hands!

Another thought from a mate who is a turner is that it could be a prototype from India but then why did it not get into production 🤔? The plot thickens!

Are the leadscrews and tailstock screw imperial or metric? What about the rest of the fasteners on the machine? That might help point to (or eliminate some options for) its place of birth. Measure some parts of it and see if it feels as if it is made to metric or imperial dimensions.

Are the leadscrews and tailstock screw imperial or metric? What about the rest of the fasteners on the machine? That might help point to (or eliminate some options for) its place of birth. Measure some parts of it and see if it feels as if it is made to metric or imperial dimensions.
I will have a measure up and report back I haven’t really started on it yet but was hoping for a quick identification!
Thanks
Mike

Back