Box joints

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victorthesecond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. For my next project, I've been asked if I can make a condiment holder - the sort of thing common in cafes to hold vinegar / sauce bottles etc. Essentially, it's a box that looks like a small wooden tool box - the sort of thing that people used to carry that is a tray with raised ends and a dowel rod to act as a handle!

I thoght it might be an opportunity to convince myself I needed a hand-held router (NOT a router table) but just thought I'd ask the experts for:

a) Any advice on a good "starter" router that isn't going to cost the earth? Anything between £50 and £100, I guess.
b) Any advice on inexpensive "box joint jigs" that I can use with the router?
c) What sort of router bit would I need?
d) Perhaps I'm better doing the joints by hand, the old way with a marking knife and chisel?
e) ANY other advice always welcome, thank you!

Why not see it as a freehand DT learning opportunity? Only needs one DT at each corner. Start with the four sides over length and if you first efforts are no good just saw them off and do them again.
It's very easy when you get the hang of it, no expensive kit needed and they make a good selling point.

I built a jig like the one in this video which works well. For a rough and ready table I've plunged the bit through a piece of MDF, clamped the router to it with a couple of thin battens and hung it in a workmate type vice. Fence can be timber clamped on to suit the task

Why not see it as a freehand DT learning opportunity? Only needs one DT at each corner. Start with the four sides over length and if you first efforts are no good just saw them off and do them again.
It's very easy when you get the hang of it, no expensive kit needed and they make a good selling point.
Thanks. I'm looking at a simple dovejoint stencil that I think would help me.

If you plan on using a router for the joints, you will have to make some sort of router table.
At least a rudimentary one. I'm sure that YT has plenty of how to videos.

Steve maskery has youtube videos for both router and tablesaw box joint jigs i made one for the table saw does very acceptable joints

20231015_153536.jpg
20240107_153517.jpg
20231126_185608.jpg

Thanks. I'm looking at a simple dovejoint stencil that I think would help me.
They make things more difficult.
The whole point of freehand DTs is that it's quick and easy once you've got the knack, they look good and you don't need any special kit.
You have to start by looking at examples of hand done stuff as it takes quite a bit of familiarisation. Difficult to do blind - there are subtle details about sizing and spacing.

I make a "box" which could be used in your context, simple mitred joints on the corners and routed grooves to house the dividers and center post.

This is one I have in the shop that I use to pop bits in, but principal applies, I just use a 1/4" router to cut the grooves.

Pictures make it more explanatory:

con box1.jpg con box2.jpg con box3.jpg

Back