Wood ID?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Kim I did not mean to suggest it could be Eucalyptus. I even wrote " I know its not"

No Procell I don't think Kim meant that.....you were thinking out loud weren't you. Its an interesting thread because it really reveals the huge variation you get even within the same species. There are some obvious "tells" that focus the search down but even then, it can be quite tricky to nail the species 100%. It also shows that belt n braces are the best way ie leaves, bark and turned item will give greater clarity (add smell to that as well).

Another thing I love about wood....its a brain teasing puzzle as well as beautiful!

Thanks kim and everyone else who has chipped in (pun intended). I'm by no means an experienced turner, ive only been at it a couple of months so I've still got a lot to learn but after posting this thread I've certainly learnt a thing or two about yew and laburnum thats for sure

Thanks again :D

What surprises me is the amount of 'things' we are seeing turned from Yew. This is probably purely in my head but to me Yew are huge old trees found in ancient cemataries and churchyards but rarely anywhere else. Obviously not true but where is all this yew coming from ?

It's hedges Graham....loads of Yew (old and big enough to turn) is found in ancient garden hedging as well as church yards etc so there is a reasonable supply. Also if you visit any ancient castle (Warwick) for example, the grounds are riddled with the stuff as it was used in long bow making. Generally the stuff you get isn't that thick in girth mind so you tend to see more between centre turnings than bigger bowls. Goblets, candlesticks etc....lanky stuff that's turned along the grain.

Keep yer eyes on this months turning contest for another long, thin piece of Yew from my stable :)

Ahhh. I will have to keep my eyes open for that. Must find a site / book with pictures so I will recognise it :)

Latest posts

Back