Wood ID?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the debate is over I've been in contact with the seller and it seem the mysterious logs are actually laburnum, so well done jurriaan that was spot on

Grahamshed":jwssdp4a said:
mike-bolton":jwssdp4a said:
and an unusual looking thing that looks a bit like a bee hive about the size of a pine cone.
A Banksia nut ?
i got Sheffield Tony one as part of secret santa gift

he done a fantastic job on it :D

Steve

I think your seller is wildly confused because whatever that wood is, it certainly ain't Laburnum, the bark is totally wrong for the tree and so is the grain. I will post some Laburnum pics later, it looks nothing like any of the stuff you posted up, and I have turned a lot of Laburnum.

OK, so first off lets consider the bark, some excellent images of Yew bark have already been posted up, here are a couple of images of Laburnum Bark, the log is very old, over 20 years (I don't have anything newer just now) But you can clearly see the very smooth nature of the bark and the small blisters (similar to Cherry) which is a classic feature of Laburnum, as also is the slight papery flaking, though this is more pronounced due to the age and dryness of this lump. Also this is a substantial log, it's 160mm in diameter.

Lab-bark-1.jpg

Lab-bark-2.jpg

Next is an example of Both Yew and Laburnum together in a single turned item, the base is Laburnum, the very top is Yew (the white wood is Sycamore) This provides a visual contrast between the two timber types.

Tib-Pot.jpg

This is a close up of the Laburnum and clearly shows the zigzag patterns in between the growth rings that is so characteristic of pea family woods as described in my previous post.

Lab-macro-1.jpg

Here also is a finial in Laburnum showing the same. (Sorry about the top bit of the image being out of focus, but you can see clearly the effect in the lower part).

Lab-finial.jpg

This image is of the Yew top to the first piece, clearly there is no zigzag, the grain has an open yet distinct appearance typical of softwoods.

Yew-tib-1.jpg

Here are two pieces of Yew in macro showing the end grain, again note the absence of any zigzag patterning and the colour (colour though is not a good guide, especially in photographs and even more so in the digital age when the colour of an image can be totally different depending on what white balance setting is used and any post processing)

Yew-End-fresh.jpg

This too is a very key feature of Yew, note the centre of this sawn bit of Yew, the pith has several dark small crack-like marks radiating out from it, this is VERY characteristic of Yew, particularly in logs of 4 inches or more, Now go back and look at the very first image in this thread and note the appearance of the base of the goblet, it is identical.

Yew-end-sawn.jpg

Here again is an image of Yew, note in particular the kind of pattern the growth rings show when turned, this is very much a characteristic of Yew, it is quite distinctive. Note the difference in colour here, I used a different white balance and it has substantially affected the overall appearance, the grain pattern however remains the same and is key.

Yew-grain.jpg

Here is another example of Yew grain, this was freshly cut (albeit from a well seasoned log) just minutes before I took the shot.

yew-Sawn-fresh.jpg

Here again is a shot showing both Yew and Laburnum together, the laburnum is slices of end grain and these are called Oysters and were once a common feature of fine furniture decoration.

Yew-Lab.jpg

Finally a close up of the Oysters showing very clearly the distinctive zigzags of Legume timbers, note also that this feature is also in the sapwood.

Lab-Oyster.jpg

Looking again at the images of the turned items and of the log, it is clear that the possibility of it being Laburnum is quite out of the question, it fails in every respect to match the characteristics of the wood either turned or uncut, the waxed log bark was fissured much like the fresh Yew log images posted, the older log though did not show so much flaking, but these flakes are quite fragile and could easily have been worn off in storage etc, so that is not key.

The open and distinctively graceful swirls of grain on the turned items are absolutely characteristic of Yew, though for sure, other softwoods could look similar, the colour is a very poor guide, not only because of the variable in photography, but even timbers vary in colour too.

So, while I can be without any doubt at all that this is not Laburnum, and I certainly still think it is Yew, I could not be absolutely certain unless I was able to see it in the flesh, it most definitely is however a softwood of some sort with Yew being the most likely based on the appearance of both the finished wood and the bark on the log.

I have been turning both these timbers for over 30 years and am more than familiar with their key characteristics and variabilities, so I am not without any experience.

Well done KimG. I have to say that post was a veritable "Sherlock Holmes" of woody detective work. Great photos and thanks for taking the time. That was definitive for me I have to say.

Hi,

Been through the box of wood again and come across a couple of logs that have different bark on them compared to the others

Attachments

• 2014-01-27 12.52.07-1.jpg
    2014-01-27 12.52.07-1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 430
  • 2014-01-27 12.52.47-1.jpg
    2014-01-27 12.52.47-1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 430
That looks very like Laburnum and very unlike Yew....how mind numbingly confusing!!! Is it just possible that there is a mix of species in that box he left you and that the one you turned is a different species to the remaining logs in the batch?

The bottom one is Laburnum, note the blistered appearance and smoothness, also the colour (this is also an aged log) is very similar to the ones I put up. Also note the dark heartwood, Laburnum goes very dark with age.
The first log is trickier, these are not great photos as the focus is poor, (not likely your fault Mike, Phone camera?) the bark pattern is indistinct, but at first glance it looks like some kind of fruit wood.

Yeh i know the pics are not very good I tried uploading the with an iPhone the first time but it wouldn't upload as the size was too big even after cropping the image so I had to use my phone which the quality is not as good but kept the size low enough to upload them

More pics of the same variety of the first log but with better bark pattern.

Thanks bob I'll give it a go next time I can't do too many things at the moment as I'm using a tablet tethered to my phone so as you can imagine its not ideal as I only have a set amount of data usage

Attachments

• 2014-01-27 13.42.23-1.jpg
    2014-01-27 13.42.23-1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 408
  • 2014-01-27 13.45.30-1.jpg
    2014-01-27 13.45.30-1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 408
  • 2014-01-27 13.45.15-1.jpg
    2014-01-27 13.45.15-1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 408
The bark on those is nothing like the yew logs I have as shown in pictures earlier in this thread. The ones I put up are definitely yew as they still have the leaves on them.
I know its not but the bark on the pics above is very similar to Eucalyptus logs I have.

Now lets not get confused.....those recent pics I would say are 99.99% certain to be Yew. They're clearly quite old and dry so a lot of the twiggy bits have scuffed off but the colour, texture and flaky nature is very indicative of yew. Pair that up with the original turned items, goblet etc and its a wrap I'd say.

Thanks Bob and Graham, I wasn't trying to be clever, but having asserted so many times in the thread that the original Goblet and boxes were Yew, and Mike being told it was Laburnum, I had to make a case! It was good fun actually and this has been a very interesting thread.

I think that Mike's seller had obviously sold him a mixed bag, among which, as we saw were definitely Laburnum logs, so a slight misunderstanding there for sure, the last images Mike has posted are very much the type of bark you would see on a mature Yew.

But the absolute clincher is Mike's last post, the Goblet and trinket boxes were made from exactly the same wood as these logs, no way are those pieces made from Eucalyptus, it is a plain and very bland looking pale timber with very little to commend it visually, whereas Mike's turnings have all the character of Yew, tied in with these logs then we cannot but conclude that Yew it is.

And while I'm at it, nice turnings Mike!

Back