Wood ID?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another key factor in the original items appearance is the grain pattern, which, if you compare it with any Yew piece, shows the same overall look, whereas Laburnum has a decidedly gold appearance to the heartwood when freshly turned and like all the members of the pea family, displays a complex zig zag like pattern of cells in between the growth rings (easily visible) Note that Acacia, Iroko and Gorse all show the same characteristic. Walnut too has it's own distinctive patterns to the rings, and although I have only turned a small amount of it, the contrast between the sapwood and heartwood was much greater and the grain pattern closer and more complex, the dark wood was also a colder and much darker brown that is shown in the original pics. I am still sticking with Yew, it is far and away the most likely.

Hi, thank for all the comments, I've took photos of the logs with the bark but I can't upload them it keeps saying the pic is to big so I'll have to leave it for know and see if I can sort it out another time

Finally! In log form before turning

Attachments

• 2014-01-24 19.27.30-1.jpg
    2014-01-24 19.27.30-1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 478
Think that the smell and weight might give it away, the grain on the original photo of the goblet is fairly wide, in keeping with a faster growing wood, the colour of the heartwood is right.

cedar.

More pics of the unknown wood in this csse a little trinket box

Attachments

• 2014-01-25 12.13.48-1.jpg
    2014-01-25 12.13.48-1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 433
  • 2014-01-25 12.14.08-1.jpg
    2014-01-25 12.14.08-1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 433
  • 2014-01-25 12.15.18-1.jpg
    2014-01-25 12.15.18-1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 433
Hi,

The logs are fairy heavy for there size and fairly hard, easy to cut but tended to heat my chisel up a bit but that may be due to a dull edge, as for smell it didnt.

Looks like it *could* be ash maybe? The unturned log does look as though it's had some trimming down so I'd imagine what bark there is isn't complete.

The log has been in a shop for sometime by the look of it, it has a waxed end and looks pretty dried out, that would explain the lack of flakes (plus the image is out of focus) the grain pattern again in the second images is that of a softwood, not a hardwood, Ash while it sometimes has a darker heartwood (Olive Ash) is certainly not red/orange like these, I am still sticking with Yew, the second set of items are more like Yew than any other wood.

Hi,

The fella i bought the lathe off had it listed as an ex demo lathe and had never really used it since he bought it, so im guessing the wood had been sat in the box for some time. Ive had a look through the box and theres plenty of odds and sods, some wood labeled ovangkol, various sized bowl blanks, segmented blanks one thin the other thick, pen blanks (i think) and an unusual looking thing that looks a bit like a bee hive about the size of a pine cone.

Hi Graham,

Yeh i think your right, ive just been looking online to see if i could find out what it was and it looks a lot like a banksia pod.

Any ideas what to do with it?

There are others here who could tell you a lot more but if you watch some Youtube clips you will see that they are VERY messy. :)

I lay a bit bet that it's not yew. The growth rings are too far apart. My next vote would be Douglas fir looking at the two pics of the box.

Can you post a sharp, detailed picture of the bark? I'm thinking laburnum at the moment, but I'm not really sure.

jurriaan":rlng3xh4 said:
Can you post a sharp, detailed picture of the bark? I'm thinking laburnum at the moment, but I'm not really sure.
It's the wrong colour for laburnum, laburnums green and much closer grained, this is orangish.

Back